How are your Ricinus

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: How are your Ricinus

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ian Cooke wrote:Not sure what the Ricinus variety is but the border looks fantastic!

I'll second that! icon_thumleft icon_salut
brendan

Post by brendan »

Zanzibarensis is now over 7 foot and getting ready to flower. Its been hammered by the wind recently so had to cut some leaves off and have also had problems keeping it watered with next doors conifers behind but still it keeps growing well.
new zealand purple is now over 5 foot and needing plenty of water aswell.
Attachments
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
Bob

Post by Bob »

My Zanzibarensis is about the same size Brendan, it's my first year with this one. Staggering really just how fast and big it has grown from seed in a few months, I'll defiantly be growing it again next year. :)
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Mine is up to about 9' now.
Don't think it will hit 12' like a few years ago....
just to dry this year,only 1/2" rain in the last 2 months.
Attachments
8-20-11007.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here's my potted New Zealand Purple it dries out daily.

Jim, Yours must be really deep rooted if if doesn't wilt like mine
2011-08-24 16-03-22 Ricinus NZ Purrple .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I took this pic last year of what I think might be a NZ purple in Corfu late last year.
Picture 1243 [640x480].jpg
This is my mini one, not sure which one it is but apparently stays small so good for the front of the border.
Picture 1725 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Di, was the leaf size smaller on that tree, or is it just the size of the tree makes the leaves look smaller?

I think if they were perennial here, I would give it the Paulownia treatment.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

They were smaller Dave and wasn't such a rich colour as we get over here. Here's a closer pic of the leaves.
Picture 1244 [640x480].jpg
I think I prefer the way they grow here, a bit too sparce and unwieldy for me.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
derrick

Post by derrick »

This is one of my Ricinus this has red stem green leaves not that tall but large leaves. My Zanzi green r about 4 feet and my blue about 5 feet blue look more slender and not so large leaves
Attachments
P1010006.JPG
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Giant blue is now turning into a nice plant. Not giant by any stretch of the imagination, smaller than yours I would say Derrick, but the stem and underleaves are a nice blue colour and it's already flowered and setting seed. I may even get to pick my own seeds this year. Zanzi is normally too late for me to get decent seed. The mini variegated one has also flowered and is now setting seed. icon_thumleft

I've not got the height this year as I normally get with the Zanzi, now I'm guessing only about 41/2 at the moment but nice big leaves. Still have another few weeks to go yet though icon_cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Di have you got a picture of the varigated one as i have never seen one and where did you get it ?
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

DiCasS wrote:Giant blue is now turning into a nice plant. Not giant by any stretch of the imagination, smaller than yours I would say Derrick, but the stem and underleaves are a nice blue colour and it's already flowered and setting seed. I may even get to pick my own seeds this year. Zanzi is normally too late for me to get decent seed. The mini variegated one has also flowered and is now setting seed. icon_thumleft

I've not got the height this year as I normally get with the Zanzi, now I'm guessing only about 41/2 at the moment but nice big leaves. Still have another few weeks to go yet though icon_cheers

Di
glad to see they are going well esp blue giant, any chance of some pics now so i can compare to mine
i agree with the height bit, but the leaves are getting huge, and i love the under leaf colour
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Brendan my mini one above is the variegated one, though it dont look very much so when I took the photos. It seems to change with weather conditions. When it was first planted out it was creamy/green and gradually turned to red as in the pic above. But even after a few short days since I took the above one, no sun, they are starting to change colour again, and you can distinctly see the variegation. Here's a couple I took today.
Picture 1739 [640x480].jpg
Picture 1740 [640x480].jpg
I was kindly sent some seeds from a fellow forum member icon_cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry, just seen your post Dave. Will take a photo tomorrow and pop it on. Get ready with your shot too icon_cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

thanks di

i'm away but will do so next week, assuming it hasnt been battered n the rain today :cry: