TREX (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') help

kracker

TREX (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') help

Post by kracker »

After buying a trex of ebay this it's done very well and got some addiotnal pups so have decided to plant one and pot the pups the problem is i thought i would cut the root the plants are growing from and turns out the main plant has no roots on it's just an earthy stump so the question is can it be saved by trying to plant the stump or i was thinking maybe sticking the stump in to a jar of water and try and bring on the roots it's only small so was gonna bring it in over winter any ideas ...thanks will
dave2166

Re: TREX help

Post by dave2166 »

it wasnt one of mine was it/???

if i get the general gist of this, you want to know how toe sever a few pupps do you??

well for me i ,make sure ive got a good chunk of root, then try to make sure there are small feeder roots too, otherwise it will die this year..

the main plant will have roots i'm sure ny now, but if youve got somewhere to put the pups then id pot them up and keep them growing on in the warmth of a greenhouse, til next year
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

did you dig or pull it up?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kracker

Post by kracker »

the main root is about 2 inches long the was 3 plants on the root so i cut the root seperating the plants thinking they would have been rooted instead the largest plant came away i have for now placed into a jar with the whats left of the root submerged in the water in the conservatory so atleast the the main plant is still intact .....
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Take it out of water immediately !!!!

I've tried that and they absolutely detest being in water and will completely rot in no time. They like a moist, but well drained soil. If overwatered they wilt like crazy.

Remove all leaves but the emerging fist on the pups, and plant in well drained compost in a little warmth in shade. Same with the parent, if no roots cut back to just one fist and plant as though a pup cutting. Keep frost free over this winter. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

How well do Trex transplant?. I have a large version which may need moving early spring, do they sulk or bed in quickly. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:How well do Trex transplant?. I have a large version which may need moving early spring, do they sulk or bed in quickly. karl.

They sulk a bit and don't like lots of water when it is cold and just been moved.

This is just an idea, not tried it before, but perhaps best to move it when they don't have any leaves in late winter?

Any thoughts?
pdid

Post by pdid »

From what I have read they don`t transplant well. The root structure is fairly large and open meaning it`s difficult to get a good rootball when moving.

Bright side is that you`re bound to sever roots which means pups a plenty!