Tropaeolum Peregrinum - canary creeper - advice please.

huporhaha

Tropaeolum Peregrinum - canary creeper - advice please.

Post by huporhaha »

I started some of these from seed a few weeks ago in the greenhouse and they are growing like they've been put on steroids. Obviously it is too early to put them out but they are trailing and latching on to anything and everything they come into contact with. I have experimented with one by nipping out the leader to see if it will sprout like sweet peas do but I'd be grateful of any advice as they are already growing rampant.
Springy

Re: Tropaeolum Peregrinum - canary creeper - advice please.

Post by Springy »

Mine are up to 6" in just a couple of weeks or so. They are in a seed tray. I aim to prick them out into their own pots this weekend. They will be potted into 6" diameter pots ( approx) and will have 3 canes put in to make a wigwam. (About 3' tall) As the plant grows I will wind it around the canes in a spiral effect, tying in where needed. This means they can put in alot of growth without getting too tall. If they out grow that before planting out time, I add 1 taller cane pushed into the pot about a foot or so taller, just to give added height as needed.
Hopefully, if you don't let the stems get too tangled, you can cut the ties and gently straighten the spiral to it's full length, giving a good height of plant to start with!

I do this system with all my annual climbers. icon_salut
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Thanks very much for the advice - I will do the wig wam thing. Currently they just have one cane in each pot but they will be much happier with three. A nice job for a wet Monday afternoon! Thanks Springy. icon_salut
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Ooh! Good advice! I'll do that too. Thanks both of you icon_thumleft