Cardiocrinum Giganteum, Giant Lilly.

jungle jas

Cardiocrinum Giganteum, Giant Lilly.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all, bought one of these yesterday, doesn't look much like a Lilly to me more like a cross between an Arum and a Hosta. Any one growing this, If so have you got it to flower? I`m told they only flower once every 4-5 years. What position have you got it in and what soil? Is it hardy? Thanks Jas.
Conifers

Re: Cardiocrinum Giganteum, Giant Lilly.

Post by Conifers »

It's monocarpic, so grows as a rosette for several years, then produces a tall flowering stem, and then dies. If you're lucky, it'll also produce some bulbils for vegetative propagation before it does die (it is supposed to, but one my neighbour grew, didn't).

Best in light overhead shade, in humus-rich, moist soil; don't let it dry out (so get that bucket ready if you've got a hosepipe ban). Yes, hardy.

Watch out for those ghastly red lily beetles.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

I've also heard that it's a magnet for slugs and snails which is why I've never tried them.
Springy

Post by Springy »

I have been growing it for a few years now and I have posted some pics on here before showing it flowering at my old house. I don't know how to add a link on here to save me posting them again. Search for cardiocrinum and scroll down to where I mention about it getting to 7'.
Mine was a good sized clump but I divided it recently to give some away to someone.
Totally hardy here. Grown in moist soil with a gravel mulch and in full sun/dappled shade.
Flower spike only got to about 4' last year so not as good as the size it flowered at before!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Springy wrote:I don't know how to add a link on here to save me posting them again. Search for cardiocrinum and scroll down to where I mention about it getting to 7'.
Here you are
Springy

Post by Springy »

Conifers wrote:
Springy wrote:I don't know how to add a link on here to save me posting them again. Search for cardiocrinum and scroll down to where I mention about it getting to 7'.
Here you are
That's the one! Thankyou! icon_salut
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thank you all, very informative, especially the photos. Thanks Jas.
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely flowers Springy!!

icon_cheers