leptospermum 'Lambertii' - anyone got one??

Lazlo Woodbine

leptospermum 'Lambertii' - anyone got one??

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

I picked this up at Harrogate last week. All I can find out about it, is that it's a part of a genus of trees and shrubs found in Australia and New Zealand - known as the 'tea tree' and related to myrtle. Apparently only half hardy to frost hardy.

The label is - I think Dutch or German and wasn't much help.

Is anyone growing it or have any experience?

Its a very attractive shrub and apparently became popular in America as they flower for 10 months of the year!

Here's a few shots taken this evening after being planted out this afternoon.

Laz
leptospermum lambertii 065.JPG
leptospermum lambertii 068.JPG
leptospermum lambertii 073.JPG
Lazlo Woodbine

Re: leptospermum 'Lambertii' - anyone got one??

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

leptospermum lambertii 070.JPG
leptospermum lambertii 072.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

they are selling this in homebase atm.

i have 'red damask' a different variety in a pot.

they like it sheltered, well drained and hot - apparently.

mine has been where it is since feb, i double fleece bagged it in the really bad cold.
a fair few tips died off and it is still plum coloured all over (they co that colour in cold weather)
but there are loads of buds forming.

the pollen of these 'tea trees' are used for a special honey in new zealand.
Robin H

Post by Robin H »

I have a plain Leptospernum scoparium bush about 3ft tall in a pot. I move this to shelter during bad weather and move to the garage if it gets really cold. It is usually covered in flowers in early summer and the bees love it. This variety is the source of Manuka honey in New Zealand.

Don't let it dry out until it is well established.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I have 'Kiwi' in a pot, same flowers but a dwarf variety that grows in a mound shape, absolutely beautiful, it's just finished flowering and you couldn't see any foliage for a couple of months. I had a 'Red Damask' in the ground that I bought while on holiday in Cornwall about 8 years ago. Unfortunately 2009/10 damaged it and 2010/11 killed it. It was about 7' high and about 4' across :( Full sun and ericaceous compost/feed suits them well, but temps below -5 are a no no. It's strange about the Manuka honey thing, because I've never seen a bee on mine, whereas the loquat and eucalyptus are smothered in bees when in flower icon_scratch