Nerium oleander plants at b&q.

billdango

Nerium oleander plants at b&q.

Post by billdango »

Just a quick post to let forum members know that there are some good quality oleander plants for sale at b&q.

These plants are in varying sizes up to about 3 feet max.

The prices vary from 6.99p to 23.99p.

All are in great condition and mostly of the pink varieties but worth the money.

I just had to tell someone?

rgds billdango icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Westport007

Re: Nerium oleander plants at b&q.

Post by Westport007 »

hi,

Nerium are lovely shrubs.I bought two of these 3 years ago and planted them in tubs for the summer.They were ok but the growth is slow in our cool summers and they require alot of heat to grow fast and flower succesfully.I generally think that they are only suited to a warm conservatory or glasshouse here in the british isles.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Had one outside planted for about ten years. Had to move it when building the extension which it didn't like, but heyho. Probably not the best plant for the irish forty shades of wet :wink:
Lidl sell these, smallish plants for under 2 quid
billdango

Post by billdango »

They do flower quite well here in Southampton.

I only recorded slight damage on most of the local Neriums over the last 3 winters and I am happy to report that the 2 large pink and red varieties are alive and well here in St Denys.

Due to the last 2 poor summers they only had a few flowers on them by late August and these few were smashed off by the constant gales and heavy rains.

If we have a decent summer [like in 2006] they are covered in a mass of sweet smelling flowers and look really exotic.

The best way to have good success with these is to grow them in the most sun and against a south or south west facing position.

As they do well in pots this is also another option in cooler wetter areas.

billdango icon_sunny
Westport007

Post by Westport007 »

flounder wrote:Had one outside planted for about ten years. Had to move it when building the extension which it didn't like, but heyho. Probably not the best plant for the irish forty shades of wet :wink:
did it flower well for you??mine are still alive but i move them in for the winter months.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Westport007 wrote:
flounder wrote:Had one outside planted for about ten years. Had to move it when building the extension which it didn't like, but heyho. Probably not the best plant for the irish forty shades of wet :wink:
did it flower well for you??mine are still alive but i move them in for the winter months.
I wouldn't say it was over floriferous, but it was reliable
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I was them in flower in Tenerife in April, and in Spain and Italy in May. When do they flower up here?
billdango

Post by billdango »

otorongo wrote:I was them in flower in Tenerife in April, and in Spain and Italy in May. When do they flower up here?

Normally they start to produce flowers in late July to early August here in Southampton.

They seem to need [like J albizzia]trees a burst of heat to kick them into flowering mode.

Constant wet and cold prevents any decent flowering but dosen,t seem to stop the growth of the plant.

In warmer sunnier Countries they flower much earlier in the year and carry on till November.

Any Neriums grown in the UK will never look as magnificent as those grown outside say in the south of France.

billdango :D