Government Eucalyptus Study Document Link

greendragon

Government Eucalyptus Study Document Link

Post by greendragon »

http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/abs/research/f ... ieetal.pdf

Very interesting read, thought I would share for those of you who have or are thinking of getting a Euc. There is alot of discussion on growth rates/hardiness.
billdango

Re: Government Eucalyptus Study Document Link

Post by billdango »

We need someone to make up a list of the different hardy species of Eucalyptus that we can grow in this Country?

I don't know much about them but i have seen at least 15 different kinds growing in Southampton.

rgds billdango :D
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I have a veritable forest of a number of different eucs. ----- Coccifera, subcrenulata and niphophila or niiphophila/pauciflora and of course gunni and sub species doing best - in second place are viminalis, dalrymapleana, rodwayii, nitida, nitens etc. Crenulata died after about 4 years and stelluata struggles (but survives) - Johnstonni, aggregata, delegatensa, gregsoniana, nicholli, parvula, risdonnii, watch this space - alive but need about 3 more winters to see what happens..........

not bad for somewhere north of Moscow - most have died in the Eastern Highlands but here on the west coast, many survived the 2010 winter but it took its toll. Depends whether or not they have a lignotuber and how wind resistant they are..........
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think it is a bit dated, as the climate seems to be based on the old theory of Global warming, just getting warmer with drier summers. :roll:

Even the tender ones here have grown amazingly over the last decade, and we have not had best weather with droughts and freezing winters.

Below is my 11 year old Eucalyptus globulus (Blue Gum) not even mentioned in the trial docs. It's reached about 40ft tall, with a 2ft diameter bole. I think I could survive a whole winter on the wood, so with 10 of 12 would keep a log burner going.
Attachments
2013-05-26-13-29-56 FG Eucs.jpg
2013-05-26-13-28-52 Eucalyptus globulus trunk view.jpg
2013-05-26-13-28-12 FG south from road.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright