How to grow Cyperus papyrus?

Kristen

How to grow Cyperus papyrus?

Post by Kristen »

I have managed to overwinter a couple of Cyperus papyrus (bought in last Autumn's sales), and now wanting to plant out.

Can I stand them IN the pond, or would they prefer Marginal bed?

Just put them in a bigger pot (rather than a pond basket)? what sort of compost?

Thanks icon_thumleft
Kristen

Re: How to grow Cyperus papyrus?

Post by Kristen »

Just seen a photo from Ian Cooke that has them in a pot, hidden by a Heuchra, I rather like that - I could stand them in a saucer (and anchor them somehow)

[Thread link]
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I planted some out into a border and they grew really well, reaching 4/5 foot within 6 months.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks YK, I think I'll do that 'coz they won't look particularly good in my pond (compared to the Jungle)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

They're swines to overwinter, Kristen, so you did well. I managed twice, (i.e. two plants - once -each :? ) but both of them performed so poorly in the second season they eventually gave up.

Trying again with a new small but thickly clumped plant from Amulree. I'll keep this like my first, in a dish permanently filled with water. My second was placed in a sealed ceramic dish in which I kept a chunk or two of charcoal to keep the water sweet.

I've heard they're best raised from seed every year.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GREVILLE wrote:They're swines to overwinter, Kristen, so you did well
I'd love to take some credit, but they were "abandoned" along with everything else. I was aware (more so now having read up on them!) that they wanted plenty of water, but they certainly didn't get that during the winter, and they did go fairly yellow-ish during the winter. Around late Winter I watered them more, but I still didn't actually stand them in a saucer of water. They were pretty decent sized pots though, so maybe starting with a decent clump helped?
I've heard they're best raised from seed every year.
Yes, I've read that too, but also that they only make about 3' in the first year - so need to overwinter to get to a decent size.

I wonder if sowing them in late Autumn, and over wintering, would give them a flying start in Spring?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I sowed in late August/September and over wintered in very small pots/cells. They were planted out in the following spring and made good sized 4foot plus plants by October.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Just to back up my claims above. Heres a photo of plants less than a year old from seed.
Attachments
DSC_0170_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0170_edited-1.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Kreos

Post by Kreos »

Mine also grow rapidly! From tiny seeds to semi adult plan in 6 months.

Kreos

Post by Kreos »

Afret winter.

GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Sowed some this July and I now have four small plants to overwinter. The largest is about 10cm tall. I'll try a couple on a sunny window sill and a couple in the greenhouse.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:Sowed some this July and I now have four small plants to overwinter. The largest is about 10cm tall. I'll try a couple on a sunny window sill and a couple in the greenhouse.

They will look fantastic next year.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have some other type of papyrus I'll have to take a pic and this will be my first winter with them. I wonder if your large type (ink they call them king tut over here) propagate the same as mine, cutting off the head and floating it in a bucket of water till it roots?
Kreos

Post by Kreos »

Regular Cyperus papirus plant is not viviparous as Cyperus alternifolius or haspan. You can grow it from seeds and dividing the parent plant.
Kreos

Post by Kreos »

This is mine Cyperus haspan, and small plants took 2 months ago!
Attachments
c. haspan.jpg
CAM00204.jpg