Enterolobium cyclocarpum seeds

khaskings

Enterolobium cyclocarpum seeds

Post by khaskings »

I picked up a seed pod of what I believe is a Enterolobium cyclocarpum tree. That was back in October 2009 and since then I've germinated 3 of the 9 seeds. One germinated very early and is now a 4 foot tall sapling, another died, and the third germinated about 18 months later and is still a tiddler.

I managed to acquire some more in April this year (I believe they are the same plant), of which one germinated within a few days and the others are sitting there quietly doing nothing.

All the seeds, old and new, look healthy and are being kept using the baggie method on slightly damp kitchen roll in a warm environment averaging ~26C during the day, dropping down to around 20C overnight.

Is there a trick to prompt germination of this species or do I have to sit and wait like I do with some palm seeds?

As an aside the seeds are like chestnut coloured pieces of granite about the same size as half a salted peanut and a similar shape to larger orange pips. The skins are exceptionally hard and give a clue about their germination status by changing to a lighter shade of brown (almost yellow), swelling to twice their normal size and then splitting open in the space of a couple of days. If you drop one on a hard surface they bounce for *miles*.

Cheers,

Mike.

Enterolobium cyclocarpum is also called the Elephant Ear Tree, Devil's Ear, Earpod Tree and Guanacaste.
Troppoz

Re: Enterolobium cyclocarpum seeds

Post by Troppoz »

Gosh Mike what are you planning to do with an Enterolobium? :shock: Are you planning on bonsai or similiar because they are a MASSIVE spreading tree and are definitely not hardy by any stretch of the word... Stunning tree, our botanical gardens have planted a lot of them and they form part of the rainforest garden canopy, fairly short lived though 30-40 years and they start to look senile.

As for germinating, they come from the seasonally dry regions of South America so naturally will wait until soaking rains before germinating so Id suggest putting them in hot (not boiling) water and letting them soak for a day or two somewhere warm (is there such a place in the UK this summer icon_salut :lol: )
khaskings

Re: Enterolobium cyclocarpum seeds

Post by khaskings »

Troppoz wrote:Gosh Mike what are you planning to do with an Enterolobium? :shock:
Like most of the 'on the edge' stuff I try and grow, the answer is - I really have no idea!

I can't explain the joy at getting a seed or cutting (brought back from somewhere exotic) to grow. This one is special to us because it came from Disney's Animal Lodge Hotel on a holiday Kim and I took to Florida in 2009. I also got some sort of crinum seed on the same trip which has gone mad this year. All of the them are totally not hardy but bring back happy memories.

So, in short, I've put absolutely zero thought into the future. It's likely to go on that way too :oops:

Thanks for the environment advice. I might let them dry out again for a couple of weeks and then give them the warm soak treatment.

Mike.