Ideas time please - replacing this Eriobotrya japonica

ourarka

Ideas time please - replacing this Eriobotrya japonica

Post by ourarka »

Hi peeps,

After picking your imaginations again please. When I first planted this border it was for instant effect, as I didn't think I'd be here long. Well it turns out I am staying and the Eriobotrya japonica is quickly shaping up to just be too big for the space. It is impeding on the fence and bamboo, and just looking out of place. I have a nice new site all ready for it, so it isn't going to waste.

I am hoping for some ideas on what to replace it with. There are some very happy C. radicalis underneath it so preferably something with a bit of height, and that will keep them shaded. Ideally it would be hardy and evergreen ..... and maintaing a bit of height. The area gets full sun .... and I am on the SE coast, so fairly mild.

All ideas very welcome and considered!!!
Attachments
It's the Eriobotrya japonica in the middle of the picture that I will be moving.
It's the Eriobotrya japonica in the middle of the picture that I will be moving.
Last edited by ourarka on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Fear

Re: Ideas time pleas - replacing this Eriobotrya japonice

Post by Nigel Fear »

I reckon in around three years time, the bamboo and Trachycarpus will spread towards the area now occupied by your Eriobotrya anyway, and touch one another, so in the mean-time perhaps a clump of Hedychiums [ginger lily] would do the trick. You could then either keep the Hedychium's or move them elsewhere as the Chamaedorea gets a bit more established, and is shaded more.

It still looks nice though for the time being, and you could alway's crown-lift the Loquat if you wanted to,and maintain a tree-shape, they grow pretty quickly and it would soon clear the fence.
Last edited by Nigel Fear on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks Nigel - I am not familiar with 'crown lifting' .... is this fairly simple? I take your point as well that the other two will slowly merge .... so might be worth putting nothing too permanent there. Some thinking to do. Any idea the best time of year to do either of those things?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Crown lifting is just pruning off the lower branches so it has a clear trunk like a tree, rather than being like a shrub.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks Conifers - still think I might move it though. Any more ideas as to what could replace it?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Your passionflower is going great guns there too, so that will fill a lot of the space between, and around the Palm and Bamboo, and elsewhere if you allow it. :lol:

You might also consider something like an Abutilon between the two, they're easily controlled,and could be wall trained quite nicely if you like that sort of thing, giving you a lot of colour from mid summer right up to winter.
There are a few varieties worth investigating that might fit into your favourite colour range.

I don't think it's too late to plant anything now if you want to, and seeing as it's been so wet lately, transplanting the Loquat shouldn't be too much of an upheaval for it if you're careful, and keep up with the watering throughout summer.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Interesting, thanks Nigel. Yes, the passion flower is doing surprisingly well, given the weather. Would be great to see some fruit mature on it ... we'll see.

Your suggestion of Abutilon is interesting, and I admit they look great. However, I think I would something a bit further forward from the fence .... and that can offer the C Radicalis some shade. Might consider the Abutilon for elsewhere though.
ourarka

Re: Ideas time please - replacing this Eriobotrya japonica

Post by ourarka »

This is really p**ing me off now!! I have been staring at this spot today, trying to visualise what will work!! Something fairly compact, that wont spread sideways too far, but with a bit of ground clearance for the radicalis underneath. Tempted to say s*d it and just chuck a large Ensete there ... but that seems a bit short term to me!!
greendragon

Re: Ideas time please - replacing this Eriobotrya japonica

Post by greendragon »

Shefflera taiwanni