Coloured zantadeschia hardiness

ourarka

Coloured zantadeschia hardiness

Post by ourarka »

I picked up a very cheap Zantadeschia this morning at the garden centre, but it was labelled simply as that. The label suggested it has coloured flowers, which I understand to be less hardy than the white ones? Just wondered if it stands a chance outside down here?
Steph

Re: Coloured zantadeschia hardiness

Post by Steph »

I have some outside and one inside, overwintered in the conservatory.
The inside one is magnificent but still has no flowers this year, the outsiders do come up but aren't really noticeable, they are quite miniscule.

I'd say best routine is to keep them overwintered in a shed and then get them going again in the spring.
Worth the efforts!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I bout 3 bulbs\tubers (Clla Flame) early this year and planted them out in three different location in the garden one is doing really great 3 flowers out and 3 more ready to open.....the other 2 seems as they will do OK but I would say about a months growth behind.......yet I thought these 2 would of been ahead icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
flounder

Post by flounder »

Not worth risking, best to do as suggested and over winter frost free. They don't seem so tolerant of over wet conditions either but, as has been said, well worth the effort
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

... but am I right in thinking that the white ones should be fine?
flounder

Post by flounder »

yes, they are...normally
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

a good friend sent me some different ones last year that i potted to get going again.left them outside all winter up against a wall and all 3 have come back strong,the purple one is flowering at the moment and looks spot on
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine are in pots, I just put the pot in the garage overwinter and leave it. When it starts growing in spring it goes back outside. They have been fine for the last 4 years.
grub

Post by grub »

I've a small purple one with white splashes on the leaves, I forgot to dig it out :roll: . It's had a winter with a low of -12C one with -19C and one at -13C, I thought they were gonners at about -6C :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

I have had a couple of vaieties in the ground for 6 or 7 years and they come back from winter no problem. They prefer moist soil in full sun to flourish and some years they produce hug plants when the conditions are good.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

This one has never given me a lick of trouble. An added feature are the spotted leaves.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
DSC01324b.jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

Well there you go then. Its me, I've had 17 of the coloured ones....lost every one of 'em icon_scratch
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I didn't know they were supposed to be overwintered and hence have lost a couple by leaving them in the ground, so gave up on them for a few years. I eventually tried again as I really wanted one, it survived last years winter but performed poorly in the summer but came through this years winter well. Possibly due to all the rain it has come up and flowered magnificently this year! I'll be making sure to dig it up for winter this time.

I'm on very well drained soil so maybe that helped and now I know to bring them in I'll try to get a couple more. I have an almost desperate desire for a couple of the black ones I saw in a local gc recently, they're absolutely stunning! :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

It is likely that they don't all have the same hardiness or tollerance of wet soil so it would be best to try some different varieties to see which best suits your garden. There is bound to be variation between cultvars and not all cultivars are derived from the same species. For example, one like Barries picture with spotted sagittate leaves and yellow spathe is Zantedeshia elliottiana and there are cultivars of other colours. Z. rehmannii cultivars have a more strap shaped leaf and are smaller plants. Both those varieties grow from corms which multply and are easy to separate. They seem happy to be deciduous but the white one, Z. Aethiopica are normally evergreen in habitat and will resist the onset of winter, boucing back from all but the hardest frosts. They have spreading rhizomes that are less susceptible to rotting.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I bought two plants at separate times both labelled Z.aethiopica, one has the yellow spathes inside flowers that recurve somewhat and leaves like arrow heads, the other is pictured below. The flowers stay very erect, tend to get a very faint pink blush on the edge as they age and have a green stripe on the back, the spathe isn't yellow and it gets "pimply" towards the bottom. The leaves are a totally different shape and here at least it's a bigger plant than the proper Z.aethiopica (although it's also been in the ground a few more years). Both get cut down by the first frost but come back reliably each year. I've always wondered what type of arum it is, does anyone know?
Attachments
calla1.jpg