A Phormium Question

GoggleboxUK

A Phormium Question

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I have just ordered 3 large Phormiums after seeing Trainer John's photos of his gorgeous Evening Glow.

I am intending to take up some more blocks in my garden and plant out a Yellow Wave, an Evening Glow and a Rainbow Maiden that are currently in 10 litre pots.

I'd like them to grow and fill out over time but was wondering whether they will remain contained by the surrounding blocks or whether I'd be better off plunging them in 20 or 30 litre pots? Does anyone have any experience of Phormiums pushing up surrounding pavers? They seem to grow from the centre and move outwards over time as opposed to Bamboo which throw up new growth on the outer edges of the rhizome.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I bought mine from this seller who is happy to mix and match different varieties and has promised to send out his largest 3 for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251111386753? ... 1497.l2649
jezza

Re: A Phormium Question

Post by jezza »

The last three winters have cut all my phormiums back to the ground so they never get the chance to grow outwards that much. I've dug up a couple and the roots didn't go much further out than what was above ground, roots went downwards more than outwards.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

my goodness thats expensive, i bought yellow waves and cream delights in 10l pots from b&q reduced from £13 to £5 and sundowner for £10 in a 3l pot which I split up into 4 plants last year

they bulk up real fast and now in their second year the sundowners are all bigger than the original plant

they divide quite easily and live on the surface pretty much so it shouldnt be a problem. if it gets a big tight in the hole just dig out some of the sections on the outer edge and grow on elsewhere
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Considerably cheaper than Seagraves though FF, I had a brief shop around but most places seemed to only be selling small plants.

My local B&Qs have been remarkable in their lack of anything even remotely exotic so far this year so I'm really stuck when it comes to finding a great deal and shipping costs are often ridiculously expensive from decent GCs down south.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give them a try planted directly into the ground then and see whether they'll restrain themselves or, if necessary, I'll give them a subsoil prune.

;)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i wouldn't plant them this late in the year, best to keep them safe until next spring
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yes, you're probably right Ken, think I'll hold off on planting anything else now.

This is probably good news because it will likely mean we'll have an Indian summer that lasts until early December just to give me something to regret and moan about.

:roll:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hi Gogs icon_cheers I dug one out of a small border last year, it was taking over the border and also was a hotel for snails. shame really as it was nice :D I have a lovely red one in a tall pot in another border, its flowered once icon_thumleft and grows to just the height and width i want it. If i had the space i would have a whole border just for phormiums, they are lovely plants..

PS, It came out easily enough as said above, roots going down rather than out, Cutting the spikey leave's off was harder, i ended up using a very large kitchen knife :D

The one i dug out a couple of years ago..on the right.

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice one Dee, that looks superb! They llook so architectural at that size and, with contrasting colours around, they really do stand out and look very jungly I think.

I've got one, a standard, in a border with other plants so might drag that out of there and pot it up again instead but the 3 I've just ordered are going to go into the ground in the same way as the palms have so they look like they've burst through the block.

The only other plant that might end up in the same space is the Irish Moss which I will seed next spring and if that gets shaded out then it won't be a worry.

;)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

deb had a collection of phormiums planted around our largest Trachycarpus,8 or more differnt ones.09/10 winter killed the lot
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My potted yellow wave was in a sheltered spot but this (mild) winter saw it off.
Lowest I had was -6.7 for one night.
It was a lovely looking plant, tempted to try another in the ground.

My purple one, and a red/pink one (sorry forget the names) were in the ground and pretty much untouched.

I'd plant yours in the ground gogs, but if your not doing it this year definately put them inside over winter.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Are you sure it was killed Del and not just cut back to ground level?

I had 3 babies in 9cm pots come through -5c so it seems odd.

icon_scratch
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My yellow wave is just looking half decent again after winter 2010/11.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Are you sure it was killed Del and not just cut back to ground level?

I had 3 babies in 9cm pots come through -5c so it seems odd.

icon_scratch

Yeah completely gone. I repotted it and kept it in the greenhouse and its 100% brown bread. I still have it, but it will be going to the tip on my next visit. Shame, it was about 2ft tall, in a 7.5ltr pot, it lost all its colour first, then rotted away.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Damn those crappy winters! Hope we've seen the last of them.