My little Citrus retreat ... a few ideas please

ourarka

My little Citrus retreat ... a few ideas please

Post by ourarka »

I have a sun baked 'alcove' that I use to keep my citrus and olive bushes in for most of the year. It still isn't quite right so I wanted to throw a couple of questions out there ...

1) It is still lacking a plant or two. Short of just buying more citrus/olive ..... I wanted something different. Any ideas?

2) I have a star jasmine climbing up the side but was thinking of attaching some wires over the top and growing some kind of vine, almost to form a roof. This would increase its shelter further ... plus protect from frosts even more. Do you think this would work and what should I use?

Look forward to your thoughts as always,
Attachments
IMG_0068.JPG
tropical Tom

Re: My little Citrus retreat ... a few ideas please

Post by tropical Tom »

I've just come back from Limone on the shores of Lake Garda in Italy, the remains of the Lemon groves can still be seen there and many had timber rafters running from left to right (or right to left)!...with brick pillars each side. You could replicate this and maybe grow a grape vine across the top, as long as it doesn't create too much shade. Just an idea :D
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Forgot to say, I now have a Lemon tree bought from Limone to grow in my conservatory.....chuffed icon_cheers
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Yes, that was my first thought. It wouldn't create shade as it is south facing and so the sun comes from the direction of the camera .... and not from above.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If the theme in the alcove is 'fruiting' what about strawberry plants tumbling down a tiered arrangement. If you get fruit at the same time as the citrus I imagine the effect would be delicious (in more ways than one.)
Robin H

Post by Robin H »

A sweet almond bush/tree could complement your mediterranean theme nicely.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

pomegranite?
kiwi fruit?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

For vines to be trained as a frost protecting 'roof', look into something evergreen. I use ivy.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Good point - it would have to be evergreen wouldn't it?!! Just wondered which would be more successful ... to plant it round the back, where it would get very little sun and have it climb up the back and over the top from behind ..... or to grow it in a large pot in the far corner of the area?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Can anyone recommend a suitable vine/climber for this? I think I would have to plant it behind the alcove initially, meaning until it grows over the top it would be pretty shaded, other than some late afternoon/evening sun. I would also want something that isn't going to go absolutely crazy and take over the entire structure and garden!!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Google "evergreen vines zone 8".

It would have to tolerate shade in its lower parts / when young and sun at the top when older, I reckon that's the natural order of things so there should be quite a few plants to choose from.

The ivy works for me, if you don't like it then perhaps a passiflora, evergreen clematis or star jasmine?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

are there no evergreen fruiting plants that he could use so it would be doubly functional?
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I reckon you should paint it white! icon_thumleft lol

Also I like tropical tom's idea with the rafters :D Is wisteria evergreen?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Yes, I like that idea too .... just a matter of finding the right climbing plant
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Hi this is my first post,so hope it works ok.I would suggest growing a clematis armandii,evergreen and fragrant flowers,or have tempory polycarbonate sheets on the roof for frost protection and extra warm(it would be an ideal position for a grape vine).You could squeeze in a pot grown fig tree(again nicely fragrant and mediterranean) and train it against a wall. :)