Acacia dealbata - Question.

Robin H

Acacia dealbata - Question.

Post by Robin H »

My potted Acacia is starting to produce flower buds. Will it bloom before winter or is this in preparation for the Spring flowers? If it will flower before the cold comes, could it be pruned back once it has finished doing this? I wonder if this would prevent more flowers next Spring if it does flower again next year. The plant would be much easier to overwinter if it could be pruned back but I don't want to sacrifice the flowers.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Acacia dealbata - Question.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think they flower in January in the UK if not frosted.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Starts flowering in January, goes on until April.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Robin, the best time to prune for maximum flowers is after flowering, in late spring. I know these put on a lot of growth during summer, but If you pruned budding stems now, you'd lose all of that flowering display for next year.
The buds will already be well under way, and it's doubtful that it will produce any more buds in time.

Also, unless you're overwintering it under glass, you'd increase the risk of frost damage and infection to the ends of the cut stems if you do it now, and we get a cold winter.

They can handle a fair bit of frost and snow though, and not lose their buds, so if you're in a relatively mild area and have the space, plant it out. :D
billdango

Post by billdango »

It does well in Southampton but some have been damaged over the last few winters.

There is a nice one that I photographed in the Portswood area of Southampton last April [look under EXOTICS IN SOUTHAMPTON,acacia dealbata]by billdango.

As far as I know it is still there and thriving.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft