Grevillea Rosemarinifolia

GREVILLE

Grevillea Rosemarinifolia

Post by GREVILLE »

My named plant is starting to flower early like last year. The last of the flowers died off in June - almost eight months in bloom. That's what I call value for money icon_thumleft
GrevPlants 2012 055.JPG
This was at it's peak last April.

I started with one of these, a variety, G. rosemarinifolia "jenkinsii" many years ago. Sand spotted it on a visit to South Down nurseries while we were on holiday in Cornwall and bought it for me. A must, since it included part of my surname on the label (no, my middle name is not Rosemary :lol: ).

Unfortunately, I killed it by feeding the plant with phostrogen. I didn't know then that phosphates are toxic to these plants :shock: I see Urban Jungle stock them and I'm tempted for old times sake...
Robin H

Re: Grevillea Rosemarinifolia

Post by Robin H »

That's a cracking plant Grev. As you may remember, I am quite into Australian / NZ stuff.

My Banksias haven't done too well - B. integrifolia x2 have been slowly defoliating but I think one might make it if I protect it. B. ericifolia hasn't done much but looks fairly healthy. I hate watching plants slowly decline - I would rather get rid and regard the plant as an unsuccessful experiment. I think a big of heat would get them moving but I don't have the facilities.

Another of the herb-like leaved Australians is Melaleuca thymifolia. I have my eye on one of these - may have to abandon the Banksia experiment until I move down under :lol: One of these in a pot would do nicely for now!

My successes this year have been with L. scoparium, Callistemon (various) and M. armillaris along with A. dealbata.

Your Grevillea is a beauty though. Well done!
GREVILLE

Re: Grevillea Rosemarinifolia

Post by GREVILLE »

Cheers, Robin. It grows very well in the sunny bed in front of the greenhouse. The soil is sloped up to the brick base and augmented with grit and gravel. The soft rainwater off the greenhouse runs into this free-draining mix and keeps the nutrient level low and the soil acidic.

No wonder it's happy :D

GrevPlants 2012 084.JPG

Close-up of the bloom, sorry for the blurring. The only difference between the 'jenkinsii' and the type appears to be a little more white in to be found the cultivars' bloom.