Brugtastic

CW01

Brugtastic

Post by CW01 »

Hi all thought I would share this pic of my Brug in full flower
image.jpg
It's been a game of cat and mouse with the weather just lately but no frost here just yet so long may that continue as there are lots more flowers to open :D
GREVILLE

Re: Brugtastic

Post by GREVILLE »

Good thread title, Carl icon_thumleft

Quite a bonus to get such a good display this late in the year. A pair of mine that shares the same colour bloom as yours is just opening its third flush for the year.

A cream coloured Suaveolens hybrid is about to open its second flush as well.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine is the same Carl :D

This pic was taken 3 weeks ago, and the individual flowers have changed, but the overall appearance has not, and they keep going like that until frosted. It is a bit of a dilema, as a hard frost will kill it to ground level, but as it is in a tub. I can just lug under cover. Ultimately the flowering branches will have to be cut off to store it frost free, but not until that hard frost is about to happen :wink:
Attachments
2012-10-24-11-15-44 Brugtastic.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by CW01 »

I'm hoping to stay frost free until the current flush has finished then dig up and keep frost free
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Wow, what do you guys do to make them flower so prolifically?

Mine has never had more than 3 flowers open at a time. But it's its first season, maybe it will flower more next year?

It's still outside, but the spot is very sheltered. If a hard frost comes, I will have nowhere to put it though as the plant is too tall.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

chop it down to any managable size, it won't take freezes
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

otorongo wrote:Wow, what do you guys do to make them flower so prolifically?
They are very heavy feeders, and want feeding at full strength once a week. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

I think I've read somewhere that if I put it in a dark, cool shed, it will go dormant and may have difficulty coming out of dormancy come spring - some plants take long, some never wake up. But maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

The spot is so sheltered - corner between two house walls, another brick wall a couple feet away, and some extra heat coming from the adjacent bathroom through the window, flue and hot shower water - that it might take more than a light frost. Perhaps I could just wrap the trunk up to a certain height and let the parts above the wrapping freeze?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

otorongo wrote:I think I've read somewhere that if I put it in a dark, cool shed, it will go dormant and may have difficulty coming out of dormancy come spring - some plants take long, some never wake up. But maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

The spot is so sheltered - corner between two house walls, another brick wall a couple feet away, and some extra heat coming from the adjacent bathroom through the window, flue and hot shower water - that it might take more than a light frost. Perhaps I could just wrap the trunk up to a certain height and let the parts above the wrapping freeze?
Cool dark is fine, never had a problem getting one going in Spring by Wintering in that way.
To get the best flowering then plenty of water and feed daily.
Your last point is worth a shot but expect to lose it.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Missed checking my B. sanguineum. This has grown wider than it is tall and it's smothered in flower buds, far more than flowered earlier in the summer.

I gather these prefer cooler conditions to encourage flowering. If it stays mild and these open I shall be brugstatic :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

otorongo wrote:I think I've read somewhere that if I put it in a dark, cool shed, it will go dormant and may have difficulty coming out of dormancy come spring - some plants take long, some never wake up.
The reason they don't come back is that most are unheated sheds, like mine. When I tried it last winter it was fine until the Feb freeze then the top 7 feet was killed. It has grown to about 4 feet back from below ground level but hasn't flowered. :wink:

The problem is the stem is not woody and a -2C can freeze the sap just under the skin, and once that has happened it is toast :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

These last two days of warm sunshine have brought out a burst of bloom on the yellow brugs. The cream coloured hybrid has some half opened flowers at the end of the day.

I pot-plunged the B. sanguineum during the summer just before the first flush of bloom, so if it turns frosty before the next lot of flowers open, I can lift it into the greenhouse.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:
otorongo wrote:I think I've read somewhere that if I put it in a dark, cool shed, it will go dormant and may have difficulty coming out of dormancy come spring - some plants take long, some never wake up.
The reason they don't come back is that most are unheated sheds, like mine. When I tried it last winter it was fine until the Feb freeze then the top 7 feet was killed. It has grown to about 4 feet back from below ground level but hasn't flowered. :wink:

The problem is the stem is not woody and a -2C can freeze the sap just under the skin, and once that has happened it is toast :roll:

i'd say a cellar or 'basement' is best for that method. icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I went to visit my grandmother over the holiday ( shes the one who started this gardening thing for me ) and when I went in she had a 5 ft brug in the living room! said the neighbor lady gave it to her , she works at a greenhouse, and my grandmother had no idea what it was. after a few mins I got her a picture on my phone and she said hers was white instead of yellow but the same plant. I'm going to take some cuttings from it asap and try to get one of my own.

not the best pic but you get the idea

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I think I stored mine a little too soon, I cut it back and tidied it up the beginning of November, wish I'd have left it now as I reckon I could have got another month out of it.

I thought I read that you could put cuttings in water and they root, well I'm having no luck at all, mine just seem to rot.
What's the best way?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.