Brugtastic

otorongo

Re: Brugtastic

Post by otorongo »

Sanguinea doesn't root easily, but the standard ones (suaveolens? and hybrids) are easy.

I've rooted mine in water, it took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

I have 4 brugs in total - one large pink suaveolens, a small clone from it, a small yellow clone recently purchased on ebay, and a sanguinea. In my experience, the sanguinea is a very slow grower. It has only started flowering now - actually only 2 flowers are opened (but not fully yet) and there are a few flower buds yet to open. The stem is quite woody though, especially near the base. I think I'll pot-plunge the smaller ones (i.e. all excepting the largest one, for which there is no room anyway) in the greenhouse, and prune the large one and put it in the unheated shed. I don't think the shed ever gets that cold here in London - and it's near the house. It should stay above freezing.

I'm planning on planting the yellow one in the ground in the spring, and mulching it in the autumn near the base with leaves, to grow as a die-back plant. If I mulch well to, say, a feet above the ground, it should give me a quicker start come spring.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My B. sanguineum practically uprooted in the gales and looks rather sorry for itself. I've lifted it into the greenhouse and repotted it in the hope that the buds will still open in warmer quieter conditions inside. A lot of roots had grown out of the pot.
Axel

Post by Axel »

This is my B.Sanguinea. I had no problem getting it to flower and im actually blown away by the ease and beauty of this plant. This picture was taken one month ago but it still has many flowers now (although many unopened). I have had a frost of around -1,5C and it didnt seem bothered by it.
Attachments
IMG-20121028-00200.jpg
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Axel wrote:This picture was taken one month ago but it still has many flowers now (although many unopened). I have had a frost of around -1,5C and it didnt seem bothered by it.
You mean your plant was subjected to -1.5C, or you had that temperature somewhere else in your garden? It would be good to know that this plant really can take -1.5C.
Steph

Post by Steph »

A Sang will take colder than a standard brug but none will endure a full winter outside, believe me my garden would be full of them if they were OK.......
Axel

Post by Axel »

Yes, the -1,4C was recorded closeby and the leaves where frosted in the morning. It has no leaf damage probably because the cold didnt last long.

Yes my garden would be full of them if they where hardier. I think that a 3 or 4 meters brugmansia beats almost any other plant/palm in our climate and they perform really well in our summers. Perhaps it would be interesting to try and protect the trunk with a palm like protection including christmas lights etc. I might try that next year when the brug is bigger.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I bought a small, rooted yellow brugmansia cutting this past November (I know it sounds silly buying brugs just before winter, but it was a bargain and I thought I'd be able to overwinter it somehow anyway). It was in the greenhouse last night, but the leaves and the end of the thin stem still got frosted. I have removed all the leaves, should I cut off the stem too (the frosted tip?) and put the plant in the shed? You guys say large brugs come back from dormancy after cool, dark, frost-free storage, but what about small ones?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Otorongo said: I've rooted mine in water, it took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Yaay, I've finally had a bit of success, thanks Otorongo, I must have tried about a dozen and most mushed and those that did finally take, took quite a while - just small white roots atm, but they're there icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Awesome. Don't forget to change the water every 3 days. Maybe the rooting rate would be higher in the warmer and brighter months?

Update on my large suaveolens: It's still outside and alive :) But here is the interesting bit: it has 2 main branches (or trunks should I say?). I fleeced it last night, and when I came out this morning to check on her (around 8:30am), everything was fine, but I left the fleece on as it was still frosty. When I came back after work, the fleece had come off one branch and the leaves on that branch were zapped. The leaves on the other branch, which had remained fleeced, were in perfect condition. The exposed stem, however, looks okay, and the forecast is looking frost-free, so I'm going to leave her outside for a bit longer.