Strelitzia reginae

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Strelitzia reginae

Post by cheshirepalms »

Simple question really, I've had one of these in the house on a sunny windowsill since i bought it in June 2011, its getting on the large size and I'm wondering what temp as a min to overwinter in a greenhouse? I'm thinking for next winter, so I can put in there in spring and get a really good summers growth without worrying about space. Then i can use my windowsills for less cold hardy tropicals :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Strelitzia reginae

Post by Dave Brown »

It is best to keep frost free Ches, I tried leaving a massive plant outside and below -2C damages leaves, which take an age to replace. A -5C freeze under a double layer of fleece, severely damaged the plant, which went into decline, and died 2 years later, despite being baked in summer.

Keep above freezing, so an unheated poly will not not be enough, 5C will be plenty though :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pdid »

Your other option is to divide it into a few smaller plants, they can take a good root pruning.

If I were you I'd leave as be over winter then split in spring to allow recovery over summer next year. Next winter keep one where you usually overwinter and experiment with the others.
flounder

Post by flounder »

The £5 one I got off ebay this year, will just be shuffled into the conservatory. Its singled stemmed with stretched petioles standing at nearly 7ft high. It can get down to about 4c in winter in there, so I expect it to look naff by spring but I'm sure it'll pick up again
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Thanks guys, I'm heating the greenhouse to 6 degrees this winter, and a few plants could be border line ( musa cavendish, hibiscus, enstete murelli ) All too big to come in house so I'm hoping they will be ok, But now i know the Bird of paradise can have a permanent home there. :D