Strelitzia reginae - southern England

ourarka

Strelitzia reginae - southern England

Post by ourarka »

Just wondered if a Strelitzia reg. would work in this pot, as the Phoenix is now deceased!! I assume, from various threads, is that it probably would not make the winter (even on the south coast) but as the pot is way too heavy to move in the winter, I was thinking of sinking the current potted Strelitzia in to it .... and removing again once the frosts come? The area is in full sun pretty much all day, which I hear encourages blooming?
Attachments
IMG_0056.JPG
Steph

Re: Strelitzia reginae - southern England

Post by Steph »

The plant would be happy but the pot would need to be moved inside for the winter.
Mine is in a bigger pot than that - you have to stop wtaering the plant a couple of months before you move it to lower the weight, and the its a lot easier.
I also use plastic pots that look like terracotta, 'cos something bigger than that weighs less than a kilo.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

It is in a large plastic pot now, which I was going to sink in to that one. That way I can bring it in and out when necessary.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

It'll soon put roots out from the plastic pot into the soil in the large pot. You'll not be able to lift it out separately by the end of its first summer out.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Although mine remains potted, I did plunge plant it three years ago. To avoid the problem of roots growing out in to the soil I tied up an offcut of porous planting membrane around the pot. A few roots came through the holes but it lifted easily for the winter. I also gently lifted the root ball out of its pot easing the escaping roots through the pot holes and settled it back inside the same pot.

I may repeat the exercise next Spring.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

....... and how did it fare outside, and being bring brought in?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

After potplunging the Strelitzia was kept at a minimum of 3c in the greenhouse. I think I only had to water it once before being placed outside the following March with the proviso of returning it for sub zero nights.

One flower spike summer 2010 when the pot was 'hidden' behind a low evergreen shrub to give the illusion being potted.

Returned to frost-free greenhouse winter 2010-11 and stood on patio until two flower spikes appeared and returned to same site as previous summer.

Overwintered 2011-12 as before in the same 12" pot and returned to patio for Spring, Summer and still there this Autumn, but no flowers this year.

Some minor revamping to my borders this year means I will have the space to pot plunge it in the same container next year.

Hope that potted history helps :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have had one 10" high for 2 years and it will not grow icon_scratch ....saying that as I now have a greenhouse this may help give it a kick :bomb: .....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mine goes out for the max time it can survive, 8 or 9 months per year and then gets dragged inside again, I can hide behind it and not be seen it is huge.
It flowers every year and has spikes popping up now.

I found that being outside stimulates the spikes, it never flowered whilst I pampered it inside.