Ficus benjamina dropping leaves

ourarka

Ficus benjamina dropping leaves

Post by ourarka »

I have a beautiful Ficus benjamina in my study, which I bought last summer. It has suddenly started dropping leaves by the shedload. I know this can be a fairly common problem with them, but wondered what the best thing to do is. I keep it fairly dry this time of year, and it is one of the brighter rooms in the house .... even at this time of year. The only real change I can think of is that the central heating has kicked in and the radiator in that room (though nowhere near the plant) has been up very high so this room has been getting pretty warm. That is unnecessary so I have turned it down now but wondered what could be done, if anything, to save it losing too many more. I can see most of the leaves in the core of the plant are brown so will have to drop eventually, but dont want to lose the attractive outer growth.
Attachments
IMG_0133.JPG
Springy

Re: Ficus benjamina dropping leaves

Post by Springy »

Could it also be the lack of daylight hours now?! Perhaps it's dropping the leaves that it no longer needs from the centre that get the least amount of light. Have you checked for any pests? Scale insect etc.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Looks a fine specimen icon_thumleft

Increase humidity.... Due the central heating

Mine has done the same, but a lot worse so i won't post a pic. :lol: But since increasing the humidity with a gravel tray under the plant pot with water, it is recovering.....But make sure the pot is not sitting in the water...or the roots will rot, especially this time of year.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Alternatively, every time you brew up a cuppa, boil the kettle fairly close by to the plant - not right next to it of course, but close enough for it to get plenty of water vapour.

Putting it in brighter light would also help.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Well, it was a great specimen but is getting balder by the day! D the generally recover ok? I can't really move it due to space and size but I have put a tray of pebbles underneath and will keep that topped up. Should the soil be kept fairly dry this time of year?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Worth Spraying it with a hand mister too, several times a day if you can. That will help reduce its leaves drying out.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I don't think it has anything to do with daylight. I have found that they will live quite happily in an unheated room all winter with the soil kept moist throughout but not allowed to dry out. My similar plant exists in the sun room that is totally unheated throughout the winter but does sometimes get quite warm when the sun shines as it faces south. Apart from ensuring it has not dried out, I do nothing extra to the plant.

I think your problem was too much heat too quickly. I am sure it will recover ok if you follow the conditions above.

Regards

Ricardo
Attachments
x 007.jpg