Fatsia leaf change

chrismc

Fatsia leaf change

Post by chrismc »

has anyone ever experienced a Fatsia thats leaves revert to 3 fingers rather than 5? I have a variegated form that since planting has grown well but all last years grown is more trident than palmate
Nigel Fear

Re: Fatsia leaf change

Post by Nigel Fear »

I can't give you a scientific explanation [maybe insects are to blame sometimes], but leaf-lobes on Fatsia's often differ, even on the same plant, just as variegated leaves sometimes revert back.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Actually Chris, 9 leaf lobes are more the norm.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Keep an eye on this one you may have an exciting new variant. icon_thumright I bought a Poncirus Trifoliata from a nursery near me that was closing down in the spring after THAT winter. It was the runt of the litter, but It had kept its leaves where as all the others had lost there's. I now have a evergreen Trifoliata when it should be deciduous. It grows a bit slower than the norm but i'm happy with that. icon_cheers icon_thumright
Springy

Post by Springy »

chrismc wrote:has anyone ever experienced a Fatsia thats leaves revert to 3 fingers rather than 5? I have a variegated form that since planting has grown well but all last years grown is more trident than palmate
I have a variegated fatsia that was doing the same this year. I purchased it early this year and only planted it in spring. All the leaves looked normal when I planted it but all this years growth had less lobes on the leaves. The stem growth ended this year in a flower bud and it is now in full flowering state. Could yours be growing to a flower bud but just hasn't quite made it yet?!
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

it didnt flower but its possible it was trying to and the winter came in and killed the tip. its now branching and in a week or two i guess i'll see if the leaves remain trident (i really should post a pic)
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

My Fatsia Jap Var was planted April last year and all new growth lost their variegation, this winter it produced a flower bud which got frosted. It has now produced three new branches with variegated leaves once more, As for shape, I'll have a look tomorrow.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Fatsia Jap Var new growth , all leaves are 7/9 lobed.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

my var. is pushing alot of new growth and the lopes havent changed. the spider web is also showing growth but the same amount of lobes..the needham form is still to small to tell I think
Dim

Post by Dim »

I have the exact thing happening to a spiders web fatsia in a client's garden

I spotted it yesterday and there are a few leaves like this .... I thought it was due to the cold, but the area where it is planted is protected from extreme weather ... i also saw that the new leaves are not as whitish coloured as the older leaves

I will take a pic tommorow and post it here as I'm working in that village
brendan

Post by brendan »

Dim wrote:I have the exact thing happening to a spiders web fatsia in a client's garden

I spotted it yesterday and there are a few leaves like this .... I thought it was due to the cold, but the area where it is planted is protected from extreme weather ... i also saw that the new leaves are not as whitish coloured as the older leaves

I will take a pic tommorow and post it here as I'm working in that village
With Fatsia Spiderweb the colour of the leaves can change with each new flush they are not consistant,one flush could produce nearly all white leaves then the next flush they could be nearly all green.This happens with all my spiderwebs reguardless of weather they are in deep shade or dappled shade.What I wouldn't do is plant where they get to much direct sun as if they put a flush of nearly all white leaves they will get scorched and look terrible until the next flush.
Dim

Post by Dim »

here's the pics of my small fatsia spiders web that has 'strange leaves'? ... it's planted in good soil, semi-shade, is not exposed to extreme weather during winter as it's planted in a good area of the garden, and is watered whenever it needs watering ... all other normal fatisia in that garden are thriving

it was planted more than a year ago and has grown a bit (but all new leaves are deformed).... the whole garden gets snail/slug pellets on a regular basis, so it's not slugs damaging the leaves

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

that looks like capsid bug damage
Dim

Post by Dim »

Mr List wrote:that looks like capsid bug damage
EEK ... I will have to watch it carefully
Dim

Post by Dim »

Mr List wrote:that looks like capsid bug damage
had a closer look again today .... there are no holes in the leaves and the leaves have not been eaten

the leaves are mutated/deformed