begonia luxurians

miketropic

Re: begonia luxurians

Post by miketropic »

Just an update..I believe these hate the midwest heat..I have on in FULL shade and it isnt moving one bit and droops alot..the other half defoliated after 10 mins of sun and now is in recovery in more deep shade..not a midwest plant at all.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

For you full cool shade....and keep watering.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

miketropic wrote:Just an update..I believe these hate the midwest heat..I have on in FULL shade and it isnt moving one bit and droops alot..the other half defoliated after 10 mins of sun and now is in recovery in more deep shade..not a midwest plant at all.
They really like high humidity and shade. The leaves went crispy (like all Begonia) on the windowsill of my house and have loved the humidity of my greenhouse (around 90% humid and 70-90F)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Full shade, next to a pond for you Mike, or at least in a jungle of other plants to keep the humidity higher.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by huporhaha »

Having real through this whole thread I thought I'd post some pictures of mine in the NW Highlands.

I have 3 small ones in pots. They all hated the spring and didn't thrive indoors.

Number 1 has done best and I have potted it on twice. He has been living out of direct sunlight in a greenhouse that was heated until mid-May.

Number two looked sick so I moved him around a fair bit in the house but out of direct sunlight. It seems to defoliate very quickly - the minute it produces a new leaf, the one older leaf drops off. It has been hanging in there - so to speak. He is still tiny as you can see by the label.

Number 3 has not been moved and has lived out of direct sunlight on a coffee table indoors - maybe it hasn't been humid enough for them. He is similarly "hanging in there"

I think they will all have to go in a shady part of the greenhouse.........any suggestions?
Attachments
reasonably happy in shady greenhouse
reasonably happy in shady greenhouse
another view of the same
another view of the same
sad and miserable indoors
sad and miserable indoors
more sad and miserable indoors
more sad and miserable indoors
a pair of miserable specimens
a pair of miserable specimens
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well the one I got from the UK is toast I believe. it is in HEAVY shade and had 2 canes..one went the other had one good leaf starting..its again 90F today and I think it is gone.. the heat already sent my gunnera to plant heaven so the lux will soon join. I have another I got here in the states from california. it is in heavy shade and is holding 4 or 5 mature leaves and growing a bit..just not a good plant for this area but wonderful looking none the less.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

huporhaha wrote:
I think they will all have to go in a shady part of the greenhouse.........any suggestions?
Cut the top off a 2ltr clear pop bottle, and put over the top to raise the humidity, They like frequent watering but very good drainage. Any hint of waterlogging and it will wilt, and if not sorted will defoliate
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by huporhaha »

Dave Brown wrote:
huporhaha wrote:
Cut the top off a 2ltr clear pop bottle, and put over the top to raise the humidity, They like frequent watering but very good drainage. Any hint of waterlogging and it will wilt, and if not sorted will defoliate

Thanks Dave - a job for the morning tomorrow icon_salut
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Doing well now Dave - still in the greenhouse - under half a pop bottle but much better than a fortnight ago - thanks Dave................ icon_salut
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

@huporhaha - mine are in the greenhouse, which is pretty humid all the time. On top shelf. Heat and humidity and they are now double in size, even with some Vine weevil nibbling. I have a misting spray bottle which I spray over it every so often. The new leaves are large.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Blairs wrote:@huporhaha - mine are in the greenhouse, which is pretty humid all the time. On top shelf. Heat and humidity and they are now double in size, even with some Vine weevil nibbling. I have a misting spray bottle which I spray over it every so often. The new leaves are large.

Thanks Blairs - mine certainly look bettter now than they did a month ago...............
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

look at this monster!! :ahhh!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEGONIA-LUXUR ... 232cae3864
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Wilza wrote:look at this monster!! :ahhh!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEGONIA-LUXUR ... 232cae3864
I have seen that advertised before - really really nice looking plant. Thought it had been sold! Obvs not made a reserve or something.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

The listing ended today, 99p and no bids!! :shock: