begonia luxurians

Delboy

Re: begonia luxurians

Post by Delboy »

This was a cutting last year that i overwintered on a kitchen window sill. Still in a 5ltr pot, 4 1/2 ft tall now.
6.JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I may need to repot mine into a bigger pot.....maybe thats why mine are looking sad.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well mine has really come on and I am super impressed with it but I think it would grow much better in some dapple shade instead of heavy shade. I was so worried about it burning in our hot summer I put it way back there and the leaves have gotten large but the plant is still only 1.5 ft tall..pic tomm. Love the thing just wish it would grow up a bit
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My original one that was 'killed' last winter but came back from the dead is now about 10" tall.
I don't think it will get big enough in a summer to rely on it being a feature plant but I will rotate them.

This winter the 5' one (last years cutting overwintered indoors) can go in the greenhouse and die down and the small one (my original plant that died back) will go on the kitchen window sill to be grown on.
As long as the greenhouse plant survives again I Should hopefully always have a good sized Plant.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Mine came from a cutting and has grown very well but it is top heavy and want to lean forward. is this common? do they get a stiffer trunk as they get older. I just used a stake to keep it upright and its doing fine but I would like it to stand up on its own if possible.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My tallest one is about 8ft tall and has really taken a battering from the wind, and don't really have enough shade for it. Shame as they can look really impressive when grown well.

Mike, they will tend to grow toward the light, so if that is not above it they will lean, then as they get bigger sprawl. You can stake to stop them sprawling as much.

My best one is in damp shade. I don't really have anywhere really damp in this drought summer, but hose down the whole shade area once a day :wink: This one is sprawling a bit but means it covers a much bigger area. I'll take some pics later :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright