Capers

Caprier

Capers

Post by Caprier »

Has anyone tried growing a caper shrub (Capparis spinosa) outside in the UK? My neighbours have a 40 year-old plant growing right up against their house wall with it's roots in rubble. It gets hacked to a stump every autumn and covered with a sack, but bounces back every Spring. The flowers are absolutely beautiful, if they're allowed to open :D I've managed to root cuttings from the original which were much more successful than trying to grow from seed. Shame about the hooked spines, but no pain, no gain...
DiCasS

Re: Capers

Post by DiCasS »

Well I say, it's just dawned on me what these capers look like :shock: Whilst in Zante last Summer, we used to pass a plant, a bit of a scruffy plant really, but had the most delightful flowers. Not many, but one or two flowers open at a time. It was grown on the roadside and decided to take a picture and ask on here when I got back - I never got round to it. And now, going through old posts and looking into my photo albums, I now realise it's the plant in your post (thank you for the id icon_thumleft )

I'd love to try it here, will have to read up a bit more about it as I know nothing about it, temps etc. and fortunately am returning there in a few weeks time so will try to grab me a piece (I can remember where it was growing icon_cheers ) I don't know if it will have flowers on this time of year but am sure I'll be able to recognise the leaves - hopefully :lol:

I guess the same as your avator
Picture 2358 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

Hi DiCasS :D My plants live in the polytunnel because, one thing I have learned through trial and (lots of) error is that they don't like disturbance. So all the rooted cuttings are staying where they rooted. If you root them in pots, I'd suggest leaving them for at least two years before planting or re-potting.
I must have tried seed at least four times, from various sources, with no joy whatsoever, so reckon cuttings are the way to go!
About the same size as a rose cutting....pencil thickness, 4-6" long in gritty soil. I suspect that old, well-established plants with really good drainage would sprout again from the roots if cut back during a hard winter but maybe like oleanders, they would take so long to flower that it's hardly worth it, so a bit of winter protection pays off.
There is a spineless version, apparently, which would be kinder to the hands, as spinosa has tricksy backward-facing hooks a bit like a blackberry.
Good luck and have a lovely holiday! :)
kata

Post by kata »

Oooh their nice Di,

icon_sunny