Lemon no leaf

philip kitts

Lemon no leaf

Post by philip kitts »

I have 3 citrus lime. Seville orange and a lemon the lime grows the orange does great but the lemon refuses to grow leaves ,after a year it has flowered and produced fruit but no new growth it was great with my g&t how can I give it a boost.?
Steph

Re: Lemon no leaf

Post by Steph »

Need to adjust the feed regime, maybe the winter cirtus feed stuff?
If you crack it I'd like to hear 'cos I have a Kumqat in a similar situation.
I have to admit to nearly killing it by repotting it in non-ericaecous compost but that was 3 or 4 years ago.....
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Citrus shouldn't need feeding over winter, it is their dormancy period, maybe too much feed when they don't need it is the problem :lol:
Dim

Post by Dim »

add a few handfuls of worm humis or good home made compost ....

then water it with some seaweed extract .... don't feed it again till spring but don't let the soil dry ...

that's what I have done to all my houseplants
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have exactly the same problem with my Mayers Lemon. Not grown one leaf since I bought it in spring, but has flowered, and flowered and flowered.

I brought it in the conservatory a week ago, as getting chilly outside, and it has responded, by flowering :ahhh!:

Not sure the compost is good as is a peat based product it came in. I heard they prefer well drained ericaceous loam. and to dry out between watering. Hasn't been watered much as was constantly waiting for rain water over summer.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

How big is your lemon tree dave because I've got one which I've grown from seed. Its overwintering in my bedroom at the moment and its about 6 feet tall and its never flowered. :oops:
doncasterpalmguy123

Thanks for the info, unfortunately its nothing i haven't read before. Maybe mine is just too young, its just its crazily big and some on youtube are tiny and yet they bear fruit. :roll:
Dim

Post by Dim »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks for the info, unfortunately its nothing i haven't read before. Maybe mine is just too young, its just its crazily big and some on youtube are tiny and yet they bear fruit. :roll:
I read that if they are grown from seed, it can take up to 8yrs or longer to fruit ....

if it's been grafted, it's much sooner and Healthy lemon trees produce fruit in their third year (assuming that they are in good health)

I may get one next year for my patio (and keep it indoors during winter) , but I will look for one that already has fruit
doncasterpalmguy123

Yeah i suppose that would probably be the best thing if your wanting the fruit.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is my Lemon when I bought it. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19250. It is the same size now with less leaves and more fruit :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Wow thats incredible, look at the size of my monster and yet no flowers or fruit. Gottal love citrus though. /Users/user2/Desktop/IMG_9572.jpg
doncasterpalmguy123

Ok so that didn't work out. How do i post my photo?
doncasterpalmguy123

As you can see its taking a lot of space in my room.
Attachments
IMG_9572.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

MIne too has gone into the greenhouse with very few leaves but a about a dozen immature fruits. Last year I had overwintered larger but fewer fruits and there was plenty of leaf icon_scratch