Passiflora caerulea advice

ourarka

Passiflora caerulea advice

Post by ourarka »

Just wanted a bit advice on this Passiflora. As you can see, it has done really well in this spot - covering the wall/fence that I wanted. Last year it died back in the cold weather so I just pruned it back in the Spring and it came back good. This year, if we don't get the really cold weather down here (and that is a still a huge IF!), what should I do with it this year. I don't want it to put on the equivalent growth next summer as it would take over the whole bed, fence and half the rest of the garden!! Should I still prune it right back, even though it won't have died back, or will it be less likely to put on the same amount of growth?
Attachments
IMG_0144.JPG
charliepridham

Re: Passiflora caerulea advice

Post by charliepridham »

Leave it alone until around the begining of April then prune back the shoots to where you can see new shoots coming from the old stems, it should grow away and flower roughly as it did this year, it may be looking pretty tatty before then but the tatty old growth does afford some protection for the lower stems in the event of a late frost so if you can bear it leave it be :)