Cytisus battandieri

GREVILLE

Cytisus battandieri

Post by GREVILLE »

If you're planning to plant something new for the coming year, I'm recommending this plant. No one has posted anything about it so I'm wondering if anyone grows it.

I don't know another plant that looks like it. The flowers have the most delicious pineapple scent and the silver leaves have a velvety texture.

Flowering last spring
GrevPlants 2012 111.JPG
flounder

Re: Cytisus battandieri

Post by flounder »

I was after one for years, but at the right price. Finally got a four foot plant at a market near Budleigh Salterton for a fiver. good laugh cramming it in the back of the motor on the way home :?
Love this plant but it is a snail magnet which ruins the overall look. Also its a plant I'm really struggling to propagate vegetatively .
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Gary, have you tried hardwood cuttings in sharp' sand taken now? They have a rather untidy habit and can always do with a prune. If you have an established one there should be plenty of material to try.
GrevPlants 2012 110.JPG
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've tried all the methods I know, at all times of year, plus different growing medium(I normally strike in sand) but it's one I'm failing with :?
it shouldn't be that difficult really, it's not like it's a plant that needs special conditions...it must be me :(
I hate just having one of a plant, I like spares just in case. Having said that, I suppose I should just grow some from seed again, but I'm too stubborn to give up with the cuttings!

I WILL NOT BE BEATEN BY THIS icon_rambo

Grev, being an evergreen, I don't class them as hardwood cuttings in the true sense. There is one more trick I haven't tried yet and thats strangulation. Basically thats tying a piece of wire tightly about half inch from the bottom of the cutting...like a form of wounding I guess. Can't even remember where I read about it, one of the old victorian garden books I think, maybe worth a shot :wink:
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Great tropical flowers ✓
Nice scent ✓
Evergreen ✓

I'll be looking for one in spring! icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks very nice! Is it hardy?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hardy in free-draining poor soil, a liitle less so if you are on heavy clay. I think this will survive against any sunny wall anywhere in UK except Ben Nevis.
simon

Post by simon »

I forgot they were meant to be evergreen. Mine is completely defoliated by snails. I hope it comes back to life in the spring or I will be looking for a replacement.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I permanently have to keep slug pellets at the base of the plant (and the nearby Clianthus puniceus) or mine can turn deciduous overnight.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

GREVILLE wrote:I permanently have to keep slug pellets at the base of the plant (and the nearby Clianthus puniceus) or mine can turn deciduous overnight.
Try a band of vasaline smeared all the way around the trunk, they don't like that stuff icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

Your obviously not familiar with sussex slugs and snails. These things can parachute and abseil onto any plant of their choosing....they regard vaseline as a challenge, not a deterrent :(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Tiny flower buds now appearing. They're much later this year. No slug problem (yet).
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I've just bought one between 2-3 ft. is it a waste of time growing it in a large pot? not sure where to put it apart from train it along a fence and shed! I only went out to buy some mint!! :lol:
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Planted. :D lets hope it makes it through the winter! I plan on trying to graft some bits to Laburnum root stocks in the spring. if anyone has any tips on how to do it, that would be great... icon_thumleft
Attachments
20130625_173415-1.jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

Wilza wrote:Planted. :D lets hope it makes it through the winter! I plan on trying to graft some bits to Laburnum root stocks in the spring. if anyone has any tips on how to do it, that would be great... icon_thumleft
Are you doing this to make a standard or for some benefit for the type of ground you're going to grow it in? You've now got to explain why