Ideas for a small fruit tree/bush to grow here

ourarka

Ideas for a small fruit tree/bush to grow here

Post by ourarka »

Hi guys,

Right - looking for some inspiration. I have this patch of ground, near where I grow herbs, strawberries etc and I want to grow something interesting, preferably edible. It is well sheltered, south facing but quite close to the house. I had toyed with a dwarf cherry tree but even these can reach 8-10ft tall which as well as being a bit big for that spot, I am also worried that the roots will start messing with the house foundations.

So, really after your ideas. It wouldn't have to be massively hardy as it is quite a sheltered spot there. Anything 'interesting' or otherwise you can think of?
Attachments
IMG_0157.JPG
otorongo

Re: Ideas for a small fruit tree/bush to grow here

Post by otorongo »

Loquat, kumquat, feijoa, maybe even an avocado if it's mild there.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Aren't they all way too big? It really needs to be quite compact, due to it being so close to the house.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I have a couple of miniature apple trees they call them 'mighty midget' and grow on super dwarf rootstock. Had mine for about 4 years and are about 3 foot tall now, they stay very small.

If you wanted something else you could just plant it in a pot in the ground to restrict root growth and keep it pruned.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

what about a currant bush?
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

Or Guava...Hardy to -4C, evergreen with pretty flowers and tasty fruit.
Then there's the strawberry guava...http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vacinium75/m. ... 7675.l2562
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

What about a lemon tree? They can be kept quite small and as well as edible fruit (if you're lucky) they have scented flowers.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Blueberry is compact and you can get a decent crop. It would be worth planting just for the leaves: nice light green colour in spring then dark red in autumn.

Raspberry is one fruit to go for. Strawberries are cheap most of the year while Raspberries are weight by weight always more expensive. You could shape the canes to make them more attractive.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

How about a dwarf peach tree or nectarine, if you are worried about peach leaf curl there are varieties available which are resistant. I have a quite a few dwarf fruit trees including peach, nectarine, apple , plum , pear and cherry all will make good small trees just pick one you would like to grow and eat the most.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I would go for a fig tree,easily pruned to keep it a reasonable size,fruits better with constricted roots,which would be provided by the raised bed.Looks exotic and loves a warm sheltered position.More than reasonbly hardy.Lovely fragrance on warm still evenings.

Other options would be Grape vine and olive tree(ok we would have to have an impressive summer to get a crop),again both easily pruned to restrict size.You would have room for some French Lavender,planted around it,to give it a nice mediterranean feel. icon_sunny
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

You can keep fig tree's pruned to a smaller size but a garden I work in have one in a small raised bed very similar size to Ourarka's and it still grows very big, 12ft tall x 18ft wide but that is against a wall. It has to be pruned several times in a season to keep it in its restricted space. I have three plants all in pots which are about 12ltr and they have grown to 6ft in height and a spread of about four feet. Any books I have read say that if planting in the ground then to restrict the roots by using paving slabs and sort of make four walls and a bottom with them. This then keeps them at a smaller size and stops them romping away and makes them fruit better but even in a restricted bed like Ourarka's I still think it would get too big for the space and need awful pruning a lot.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I actually have a couple of fig trees already, but agree they might be a bit too big. Also, as they only bear fruit on new wood I find that pruning too much means you get a lot less of a crop.

Some great other suggestions though. I have a lemon tree that has outgrown its pot so I was thinking of chancing that in the ground anyway. It is a bit straggly and was free to me, so no big deal if it doesnt make it. A currant bush of some kind is also worth thinking about. I am lucky enough to have quite a few of the other suggestions already dotted about, but will definitely have a good read through them all for consideration.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Asian Pear, "Nashi," A bit different. Tastes like a juuicy pear/apple. Growing some myself,young plants but hoping for first fruit this year(touch wood)