Cardiocrinum giganteum

Steady

Cardiocrinum giganteum

Post by Steady »

Anyone ever grow this giant lily and had any success? I've been reading up on them and found advice a bit conflicting about them being a bit fussy or not,they look pretty impressive when in flower so think I might have a go.
Springy

Re: Cardiocrinum giganteum

Post by Springy »

I purchased a single plant about 4 or 5 years ago and I have still got a good sized clump of plants from that single bulb. It's been very easy to grow. It's planted in moist soil and partial shade. The main thing you have to watch out for is Lilly beetle! They can devastate a plants leaves if not kept in check. Look for small red eggs laid in clusters, the brown poo covered grubs and most of all the red beetles.
Flowers are large and fragrant. The following seed pods are quite architectural in their own right. These split open and disperse hundreds of papery seeds.
Springy

Post by Springy »

This plant has been mentioned on here before so have ago at using the search topic function.icon_thumleft
Steady

Post by Steady »

Springy wrote:I purchased a single plant about 4 or 5 years ago and I have still got a good sized clump of plants from that single bulb. It's been very easy to grow. It's planted in moist soil and partial shade. The main thing you have to watch out for is Lilly beetle! They can devastate a plants leaves if not kept in check. Look for small red eggs laid in clusters, the brown poo covered grubs and most of all the red beetles.
Flowers are large and fragrant. The following seed pods are quite architectural in their own right. These split open and disperse hundreds of papery seeds.
Thanks for the info, does your clump still produce any decent sized flowers as says it can take quite few years to get full sized spikes?
Springy

Post by Springy »

Steady wrote:
Springy wrote:I purchased a single plant about 4 or 5 years ago and I have still got a good sized clump of plants from that single bulb. It's been very easy to grow. It's planted in moist soil and partial shade. The main thing you have to watch out for is Lilly beetle! They can devastate a plants leaves if not kept in check. Look for small red eggs laid in clusters, the brown poo covered grubs and most of all the red beetles.
Thanks for the info, does your clump still produce any decent sized flowers as says it can take quite few years to get full sized spikes?
The flowers always seem to be the same size. It's the height of the flower stem that seems to vary. I had it growing in a more moist, clay type soil when I first got it and it produced a 5-6ft flower stem. Since I have moved house it has produced 4ft flower stems but now it is growing in moist but free draining sandier soil.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Did you keep it outside all winter? I just lifted mine as some leaves were going brown...darned grub had been eating part of it, rotting it. The remainder is in intensive care.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yep, left outside all winter with no protection whatsoever! Looks like its going to flower again this year! icon_thumleft

Stem is approx 2-3ft
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Springy wrote:Yep, left outside all winter with no protection whatsoever! Looks like its going to flower again this year! icon_thumleft

Stem is approx 2-3ft

Thanks Springy. Am guessing it is on the dry side being next to the fence (trying to plan where to put mine). I will try it outside this winter - nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Springy

Post by Springy »

The ground here is very free draining but the ground stays moist where it is planted. It's in light shade most of the day. My sister has hers planted in clay soil and it came through the winter unprotected too. I think they are quite tough. icon_salut