Eucalypts in temperate conditions

huporhaha

Eucalypts in temperate conditions

Post by huporhaha »

I just thought I'd like to share a bit of information about the growing of various eucalypts in the UK. I can't say that the conditions I have here are ideal but over the next little while I will be posting information about the various eucalyps I have been growing up here in the NW Highlands over the last ten years.

I have kept a note of the ones that do well here and the ones that struggle. I will try and post photos of them too so that if anyone wants to have a go at growing them, there will be a sort of database here.

Bear in mind that some species will do a lot better in less windy conditions than we have here but some of the species I have here may struggle in upland or inland areas that routinely have more severe frosts than we do on the west coast.
huporhaha

Re: Eucalypts in temperate conditions

Post by huporhaha »

I'll start with the most familiar one of all.
Eucalyptus Gunni.
I harvested some seeds from the village where I was born in 2005. (No, I was not born in 2005, I harvested the seeds then :wink: )

Pictured below are two of the trees from that batch of seed.

These trees have fared well here and put on approximately 6ft of growth annually. I cut the top third out for the first 3 years to ensure that the root to shoot ratio was good in the poor soil here.

They grow BIG so probably not for an average suburban garden as imo they may do damage to foundations and grow out of hand very quickly.

They are neither the prettiest nor the most tropical looking of gum trees but they tolerate water logging for short periods and can dry up damp areas.

They tolerated -17C for short periods in the winter of 2010.

They are quite tolerant of high winds when they produce mature leaves but they will need protection from strong winds when young.

I would not advise growing this species unless you have a very large garden or have a love affair with the common and ordinary.

There is a wealth of information about this species online so I won't duplicate what is out there.

So that is the most boring species out of the way. I'll endeavour to be a bit more specific about the other more exotic species over the coming days!
Attachments
DSCN2391.JPG
DSCN2394.JPG
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Eucalyptus Nitens

This is a tall straight trunked species that grows very fast. It is often advertised as "fully hardy" but I reserve judgment on that! I know of none in the locality or in the Inverness area that survived the 2010 winter. Reportedly they can take up to minus 10C annually. 2010 winter was exceptional so it may be worth the risk to grow them again but I have not fallen in love with mine in case they succumb to the cold winters here.

My mature ones are now ex-nitens and made good firewood after they died! I have two young ones about 6ft tall which I grew from seed. They have been protected this winter so I can't put up photos yet until the covers come off!

The young stems are unusual as they are square. Juvenile leaves are huge.

The like acid to neutral soil and nitens lacks lignotubers so they may not regenerate after coppicing. They depend on buds under the bark to regenerate.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks huporhaha, very useful post. Look forward to the next instalment! :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

There is a huge multi-stem Eucalyptus Gunni on the road towards my house. It is in the garden of an old farm house. The tree must be over 12 metres/40ft, it has always got my eye being evergreen with silvery underside in summer and reddish in winter.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Been a bit busy recently but hope to take up thread asap. Lovely flowers on a number of my coccifera making the best display yet. Sorry for the hiccup - everything is growing so fast........hope to continue soon.......