echium damage

call

echium damage

Post by call »

I need help
it seems as if my echium pininana's central growth point has been frost damaged so I had a closer look and my fears stood correct it was damaged bad so I cut the growth point off :oops:
was it a foolish mistake or will it survive (maybe branch out)
thanks
GREVILLE

Re: echium damage

Post by GREVILLE »

I had two Echiums growing near each other and the smaller of the two had the top frosted. It died icon_aaargh . The larger escaped and still lives (with a near miss, yesterday :oops: )

I've only ever had one plant survive the top being frosted and it branched into two. It was a small seedling that germinated late in the season. The following year saw two identical stems grow up but nowhere near as tall as a single stem. This meant there was not enough height to carry bloom. The plant was killed the following winter :x

All other Echiums I've grown that had the tip damaged have never survived but they were all a little bigger than the seedling that did.

So, Call, perhaps the smaller the better? If it's going, it will go soon. If the rest of the plant stays green well into spring, then here's hoping.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry to hear. I think once the growth point is damaged thats it for the plant, but hopefully someone can reassure you it will pull through.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Call, i grew a few echiums. One got frost damaged and it did branch but never looked good, you don't get that nice big inverted cone effect. Luckily mine flowered last year , so hoping to see some seedlings pop up this year.
ebuyechium

Post by ebuyechium »

Hi All
I'm a serious Echium grower - have several small plants that have died at the growing tip and now they are shooting from lower down the stem - should survive and make bushy plants. Larger plants are different you will be lucky if they make it. Really bad winter for the plants but I've managed to overwinter mine in the greenhouse all six varieties! Really pleased that today I have the first flower on my 8 ft Pininana - should be stunning over the next month.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I had 5 large pininanas going into winter. 2 are dead, 2 more are probably dead leaving me 1 which hopefully will flower. The one good one was planted in a group of three and was the smallest oft the three. The only protection they had was fleece thrown over them.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

ebuyechium wrote:Hi All
I'm a serious Echium grower - have several small plants that have died at the growing tip and now they are shooting from lower down the stem - should survive and make bushy plants. Larger plants are different you will be lucky if they make it. Really bad winter for the plants but I've managed to overwinter mine in the greenhouse all six varieties! Really pleased that today I have the first flower on my 8 ft Pininana - should be stunning over the next month.
Welcome to the forum.Like your user name.Being a Derby County fan,I wouldn't normally talk to someone from nottingham :lol: But Dave insists we keep it friendly.

I have been growing echium for about three years,it finally looks as though I am going to get mine to flower this time.It's incredible how quickly they grow,from such a small seed.
This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago.It is now covered in flower buds.I will update the picture if it flowers.

Last edited by Half Hardy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

How do you protect them in winter
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

The Codfather wrote:How do you protect them in winter
I thought I was going to make it through the winter without having to protect it.This one is fairly hardy(about-5c I think).We had a bit of a mild spell,towards the end of Feb.and it shot up,and started budding.Then it turned cold again,so I covered the top,with an old dressing gown.I had trouble reaching the top,I had to use a stick to place it over the top.I only left the cover on,for a couple of nights of about -3c.It was too heavy to leave on,if it had rained I think it would have done some damage.Next time I will use a fleece bag.

Here's another picture to show the full height.

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Great echium....nice job getting it through Winter....for a D%rby County fan. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
call

Post by call »

wow that is tall
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My biggie is on the up now that temperatures have hit double digits. Only some leaf scorching to show from the winter, I kept a very large cardboard box on it on the the coldest nights. Flowering not far away.

Update on yours, Call?
call

Post by call »

most of the leaves are brown and the centre has rotted. I realised that it happened because the protection that I had put on had gotten wet. :cry:
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Tom2006 wrote:Great echium....nice job getting it through Winter....for a D%rby County fan. icon_thumright
Thanks (all compliments,even back handed ones,gratefully received :) )

Being a Derby fan,is perfect training for being an exotic plant fan(Patience,plenty of disapointments,be happy when you finally get a result)

This is a picture of echium wildpretti, I have grown from seed.They are one of the least hardy,but I think the best looking variety(funny how often it works out that way).They really don't grow well in small pots,so the plan is,to get it through winter,protected in the greenhouse and then plant it out as early as possible in spring.

Doesn't look much now.

Image]

But look what it can turn in to drunken_smilie1

jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I thought I was going to make it through the winter without having to protect it.This one is fairly hardy(about-5c I think).We had a bit of a mild spell,towards the end of Feb.and it shot up,and started budding.Then it turned cold again,so I covered the top,with an old dressing gown.I had trouble reaching the top,I had to use a stick to place it over the top.I only left the cover on,for a couple of nights of about -3c.It was too heavy to leave on,if it had rained I think it would have done some damage.Next time I will use a fleece bag.

Here's another picture to show the full height.

Image[/quote,

Let us know when you put a fleece bag over that one so we can all come round and watch, we can also help to soften the landing when you fall. :ahhh!: I found it difficult putting a fleece bag on a 5 1/2 footer. The fleece bags really stick to the rough leaves. Worth the effort though mine is still alive. icon_thumright