Meconopsis betonicifolia

ourarka

Meconopsis betonicifolia

Post by ourarka »

Just wondered if anyone has had much experience with this? I bought some decen looking plugs a couple of months ago and potted up, but they are seriously sulking and don't know why. My last ones did this o before withering away to nothing. I am keeping them in a warmish room, with good light. Am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
image.jpg
Conifers

Re: Meconopsis betonicifolia

Post by Conifers »

How warm is 'warmish'? I'd suspect probably too warm at this stage in their life cycle.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Probe reads around 15C in that room. If they need to be cooler is it worth me planing them out?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yes, definitely (assuming 'planing' means 'planting' :lol: ). Cool them down for a day or two steadily rather than putting them straight into snow and ice, and plant into moist but well-drained woodland type soil with half shade.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I like the sound of 'planing out' but think I'll stick with planting out for now!! Thanks for the info - I was obviously trying to mollycoddle them a little too much. Ill stick them in the greenhouse for a bit, then in they go - like it or lump it!!

Thanks for the help.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Do you have them in ericaceous compost as that may be one reason for poor growth. I have only ever grown them from seed and the seed has to be fresh, then after germinating in ericaceous compost I potted on into pots the same size as yours in the picture and then planted out about late april / early may. Plant out in deep fertile (well dug with added organic matter) soli in slight shade and put a few slug pellets around them as when small they get nibbled. I did not keep them very warm when they were the size of yours as they can take quite low temps, they were kept in my unheated greenhouse after early seedling stage prior to planting. The flowers are stunning and even though the main plant dies after flowering mine usually produce a couple of rosettes around the main plant and produse a couple of plants to live on. Just re-read your post and yes too warm, just above frost free I would say and not above 10c if possible and water with rain water and then give a couple of very dilute feeds with ericaceous plant food when planted out and growing well later in the season. Good luck.