lets see the hostas

miketropic

lets see the hostas

Post by miketropic »

I didn't see another thread about them on the first page so I started a new one. Don't know if there as popular over there as they are here either. we have a hosta society in just about every city and just as many available to grow. Since there just starting to come up over here I thought it a good time to make a thread. I have about 20 or 25 types I will try to take pictures of and get on here. some started inside are doing well and there my more rare types. Anyone with any very rare/ hard to find hostas? I would say the most rare one I am looking for in the US is Hosta "Dorothy Benedict" and runs around £130 if it can even be found.

Hosta "white Feather" emerges pure white, stays white and gets green veins as it matures

Hosta "Zebra Stripes" emerges a nice green and gets a white mist look to it as it matures ( excuse the acathus in back)

More as they emerge..if I can remember all there names.
flounder

Re: lets see the hostas

Post by flounder »

Note to ones self. Order a couple of ton of slug pellets for when the hostas burst into life :wink:
I think over here, they're quite late in showing because of our freezing spring
dino

Post by dino »

Love them especially the bigger leaved varieties like Sum & Substance and Big Daddy. icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have a sum and substance but no big daddy it is on the list though. I usually only put out slug pellets 2 times a year and that keeps them at bay for the most part.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

big daddy isn't really that big.
devon giant is a better choice or of course empress wu
call

Post by call »

mine have no sign of life yet mainly because of the late spring but I will look tomorrow and see wether there is any signs of life :roll:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

mine are just peeping through the soil, only a cm or so. Put slug pellets everywhere yesterday to stop the early munch
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My ones in pots are poking out the soil about 2cms. The ones in the ground are just breaking the surface.
I absolutely love hosta, unfortunately so do the slugs. 2011 mine looked great, last year they were pants.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mine are just starting.....I have about a dozen
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm down to just one now. some of the time it is too dry for them, and when it's wet it's too Sluggy for them. Put pellets down but always one or 2 slugs get through and ruin them :x
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

the big ones are normally ok and the blue ones seem more off putiing to them too.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I like the blues myself, have some blue mouse ears and some haspen blues..would like to get a few more for a new bed I just made. been mulching all day so I will take some pics tomm of the ones comming out already
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

Empress Wu is a beauty.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I have 4,so far ...Halcyon,whirl wind,patriot and I have just bought blue ivory off ebay.I need to be careful,I tend to get a bit obsessive when collecting plants :roll: I have already been through the palms,agaves,tree ferns,brugmansias.I am now on to bananas ,aroids and hostas(there's a scary amount of these).Luckily they are fairly cheap.What i really don't need is someone telling me about, rare expensive ones :lol: Too late ,i have already googled Dorothy :roll: .

We get so many slugs and snails around here,I am going to have to come up with something radical icon_rambo to protect them.Maybe, a water feature, with the hostas on an island in the middle.Any other suggestions?

This is H.Whirlwind,starting to unfurl.

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I love hostas although the slugs love them even more. I got an empress wu a couple of years ago and its done nothing to the point that I think I've been had (ebay nursery). None of my hostas are moving yet.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.