plant ID please

otorongo

plant ID please

Post by otorongo »

It was already in my garden when I moved in.

It's evergreen, the leaves are light green/yellowish, but the new growth (which appears in spring only, if I remember correctly from last year) is red.

It's quite attractive and (sub)tropical looking. I love how it brightens up the NE-facing border it's in, especially in the winter when that border doesn't get much sun. I've underplanted it with Heuchera 'Electra', and there is some Heuchera 'Georgia Peach' nearby, which all add even more contrast, making it very vivid and cheerful.

When you come closer you can see that the leaves are thick and have an arid / Mediterranean look.

I also like the way the trunk blends with the fence behind it, being nearly the same colour (at least when it's shaded), making it look like the leaves are suspended in the air.
Troppoz

Re: plant ID please

Post by Troppoz »

Looks like Pieris japonica to me. Does it have white lilly of the valley type flowers?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Definitely Pieris.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Very nice Pieris, looks a bit yellow though. It needs acid conditions ideally, maybe an ericaceous feed would green it up a bit.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks guys.

I can't remember it flowering - which doesn't mean it doesn't flower. Last year there was a lot of rubbish all over it (dead branches of other plants etc.) so maybe I just didn't notice them, I've only cleared it up recently to expose this gem.

I like the yellowish colour, but if it's a sign of a deficiency as you say Gary, I'll look into an ericaceous feed.