I've just bought a Pachypodium Lamerei plant.....

Tara

I've just bought a Pachypodium Lamerei plant.....

Post by Tara »

and I don't really know what to do with it :lol:

It's commonly known as the 'Madagascan Palm' even though they are not palms...

Mine's 12" tall and very healthy - I couldn't resist for £3.99 :)

I learned a little bit on US forums about the plant - everyone agrees they like scorching heat, while some say give them lots of water, and others say water sparingly (there's disagreement about how it's used to dry arid conditions, and others recommend treating the plants like tropicals)

The UK RHS site says it's an H1a (all year round heated greenhouse - tropical) but I'm thinking that if the Americans in cooler climates can keep theirs outside for the summer, why wouldn't the plant stand it outside in the UK approx May to Sept?

Does anyone here have the plant? Any tips to share please?

Many thanks
Tara
GaryW

Re: I've just bought a Pachypodium Lamerei plant.....

Post by GaryW »

It will take lots of water in the summer months, but keep quite dry in winter at a min of 10C. It would be ok outside form June to August, but better in a greenhouse or conservatory. it will lose most or all of its leaves in winter, this is normal. A well drained loamy compost is ideal. Be aware that these grow huge and quite quickly in the right conditions - warmth, sun and water when in growth. They branch after flowering which can be at about 5' high in pots icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've never grown one, so have no experience, but you need to be aware the most parts of the US are very much warmer than we are, and their summer temp may be 30C by day and 23C by night.

If you are going to try it outside, I'd suggest the warmest microclimate, like a sheltered, sunny site, next to a house wall to re-radiate heat from the bricks over night :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tara »

Thanks both :D

The pics of the ones pot grown in back gardens in the US are amazing, and yes, they are quick growers, with even the indoor ones reaching past ceiling height fast.

Maybe my plant will be ok then.....
I don't have a greenhouse, so it will have to come indoors into my loft room for the winter (which is always warm) I hope to move house next year to a house with a 'real' garden (not a patio) and a greenhouse is on the list of wants.

Thanks again
Tara