Longevity of Phormiums

huporhaha

Longevity of Phormiums

Post by huporhaha »

I have a number of phormiums (or phormia) aged between 6 and 10 years. Some look fine, but some seem to be looking very sad. Does anyone have any idea about the longevity of Tenax, Cookianum and various cultivars please? A number of mine flower quite prolifically. Does this take from the energy of the plant and does it suffer in the following year please? There seems to be no rhyme or reason with the prolificness of mine.................I have some really healthy ones in less than ideal situations that seem to thrive whilst others in "better positions" seem to be struggling. icon_scratch
PaulPlants

Re: Longevity of Phormiums

Post by PaulPlants »

A general rule for plants like Phormiums, well at least in my book is as follows.

1. Young plants growing away happily don't need to flower, and why should they. Life is great and nutrients a plenty.

2. Older plants. Bigger, tougher and eaten through most of what the soil has to offer. Time to flower and make new plants.

3. The oldies. In an area that can offer them no more, tight on space, roots crammed, not energy from the soil. Dig up and divide. It's easy to divide these plants once out of the ground. If its a real huge clump don't worry too much about damage, you'll have plenty left over. Once divided cut leaves to 8 - 12", they'll be fine and grow away.

4. If some plants are suffering from too much water, it's simple move them. They will be the ones going mushy.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I wonder if its a result of our terrible weather. Mine are also looking very poor this year, one looks like it might even be dying. icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
multim

Post by multim »

All of mine (with the exception of Yellow Wave) have done so well that I have had to reduce the width of the clumps by 50%. They are so easy to grow and increase stock...shame on the garden centres for charging so much.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

One of mine suffered badly being overwintered, and perhaps underwatered, in the back of the greenhouse.

I planted it out to give it a better chance of survival and it has pushed up one new leafblade and a flower since.