Bougainvillea help

ourarka

Bougainvillea help

Post by ourarka »

I bought this bougainvillea a couple of months ago for my conservatory, as I've always wanted one. I keep it well watered but in the last few weeks it has started to drop a lot of its bracts (is that the right word?) Is this normal, as there appears to be some new green growth, or are there things I can do to stop this happening? Any general care guide would be most appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
billdango

Re: Bougainvillea help

Post by billdango »

Nothing unusual.

You spend a lot of money on a magnificent plant from a garden center and it starts to keel over as soon as you get it home.

Thats why I gave up on Bougainvilleas years ago.

billdango icon_thumbdown
flounder

Post by flounder »

It is normal for them to constantly shed their bracts. They're lovely, but messy at times. You say it's producing new shoots? It'll be ok
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I had trouble with bougainvilleas until I kept my present two on the dry side in summer and VERY dry in winter.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Maybe more sun and less water?

I saw lots of them in Ibiza last weekend, they grow in sand and stone and full sun down there and look perfect. It's hard to imagine anything could kill them... the thicker stems look like they could even take some frost.
flounder

Post by flounder »

After reading the other posts and re reading original, only water when dry, do not feed. I really must pay more attention to what is being written icon_study
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

How happy they look in the fierce Ibiza sun and dryness: