Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'

otorongo

Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'

Post by otorongo »

I got mine last year, it didn't flower as much as the plain caerulea but it did grow quite fast.

In the winter it lost most (but not all - IIRC) of its leaves and maybe 10% of the stem (the growing tips), but it came back quickly when it warmed up.
It's now going rampant, and the best part is its large leaves, which give it a very tropical look.
Also has quite a few flower buds about to open.

I was surprised that there was only one mention of this hybrid on the forum, more of us should grow them, especially those of us at milder locations icon_thumright
It's not as hardy, vigorous or floriferous as the species, but the tropical look makes it worthwhile and it mingles well with the species if you can keep the latter in check.
charliepridham

Re: Passiflora 'Constance Elliott'

Post by charliepridham »

I grow this too, but it is very prone to virus and although that is not a major issue in a planted in the garden plant, it does make them all but impossible to sell (manky yellow leaves) They brought out White Lightning to be a better improved plant but its not really and as you have discovered once you get Constance going she is still a good garden plant.
One other Passiflora worth looking out for (not that many are hardy) is 'Betty Myles Young' good foliage and large flowers
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Incidentally, I picked up a P. Constance Elliott in my local Morrisons last week for £2!!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

leunerj wrote:Incidentally, I picked up a P. Constance Elliott in my local Morrisons last week for £2!!
Good for you!

My P. Constance Elliott had its first flower of the season yesterday, much later than the standard caerulea but the two mingle well together. The caerulea may need more pruning though, being more vigorous.

And I ordered a P. 'Betty Myles Young', thanks for the heads-up Charlie! I'll plant it next to the other varieties and let them all mingle. From what I've read it's hardy to -8C (which means fully hardy in London), evergreen and the flowers are larger. Plus they'll add yet another colour to my passie fence, can't ask for more icon_thumright