Pseudopanax lessonii 'gold splash'

GREVILLE

Pseudopanax lessonii 'gold splash'

Post by GREVILLE »

Found this at a huge trade nursery's greenhouse containing a few random exotics ten years ago. I was struck by it's resemblance to the houseplant Schefflera arboricola variegata. This is much hardier and has survived the recent winters planted out for the last eight years unprotected and unscathed.

The only nursery I've seen list it is Burncoose in Cornwall.
Sept 2013 008.JPG
fern Rob

Re: Pseudopanax lessonii 'gold splash'

Post by fern Rob »

It almost reminds me of a Horse Chestnut.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I've had it a few years too,a local nursery here sells it occasionally.
Seems tough as old boots, a lot of mine seems to be reverting to green though, so I'll have to have a go at trying some cuttings some time.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

fern Rob wrote:It almost reminds me of a Horse Chestnut.
icon_scratch
Not in the flesh it don't. :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

One or two shoots occasionally revert on mine but I always cut them out at source.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Greville, nice plant, icon_thumright have you ever tried to propagate it from seed or cuttings? Does it have any flowers of note?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Never tried cuttings, Jas, but I think it would root successfully in gritty compost on gentle bottom heat with leaf tops covered. Never seen it flower and set seed but I would imagine if it did you would have the plain green version. My mature P. laetus flowers itself to death every year but I've never got viable seed. I guess I'd have the same problem with this if it ever flowered.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have never seen one before
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

They have these at Trevenna Cross near Helston Cornwall. Nearly got one yesterday but got the Arboreus instead. They are very tough, have had the Sabre variety for a while and nothing bothers it. Absolutely love them, good alternative to Scheffleras.
Next time I'm down there I'm going to get the Laetus, stunning plant!