Any other citrus growers?

doncasterpalmguy123

Any other citrus growers?

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hi there, i was just wondering if there are any other citrus growers on here? Ive seen a topic about meyer lemon trees however i thought id set one up about all citrus. Anyone with any pictures they'd like to share or questions they'd like to ask then feel free. Make sure to tell me what species you grow and feel free to join in even if you don't have citrus!

So i'll get the ball rolling; I have a seed grown Meyer lemon tree, a seed grown Mandarin orange, a seed grown clementine orange and four hardy oranges/trifoliate oranges (Poncirus trifoliata). :lol:
Steph

Re: Any other citrus growers?

Post by Steph »

Me, I grow citrus!
Aspirations to grow the fruit to make marmalade or lemoncurd with, its a personal challenge.

Have a lemon, a kumqat & kaffir lime tree, but that is mostly for the leaves in Thai curries.

On the look out for a calamondin orange but at a reasonable price.... one day.
doncasterpalmguy123

Sounds great. How big are they, because my lemon is seed grown, its turned into quite the shrub, i don't know how i'll cope when it gets even bigger :lol:
Steph

Post by Steph »

They are all potted but some of pots are quite big, they come inside the conservatory for the winter.

The lemon is about 4' and bushy, kumquat is a 6' standard, both are fruiting size.

Your lemon will need to be trained & pruned, you'll have to decide what structure you want and act accordingly, but they can get quite large and if its seed grown you probably don't know the parentage.
franckm

Post by franckm »

Hi,

Growing 'hardy citrus' on the edge zone or beyond is a real challenge. I do grow some of these including : poncirus trifoliata, citrus inchangensis, citrus junos (yuzu), Hana-yuzu (close to yuzu), US897, US19, citrangequat 'Thomasville', mandarinquat 'Nippon', ' Ventura lemandarin', Ichang lemon 'Shanguyan', satsuma 'hashimoto', satsuma 'sra145', 4475, C35, juanita tangerine, nuclem citrus, citrus depressa sra 682, citrus tawainica (or tawainiana), and some others..
I'm in zone 8a.

Franck 8)
Steph

Post by Steph »

You must have a bigger garden than the rest of us!
doncasterpalmguy123

Yeah im gonna have to prune it.

Wow great to see another hardy citrus grower. My trifoliated are still in leaf which I'm surprised about :lol:
doncasterpalmguy123

My overall goal for the future is to hybridise my lemon and trifoliate oranges. This way i should get a hardy lemon, thats the theory anyway. I know this will take a lot of time and trial and error but I'm only 17 so I've got my whole life for this project. Hopefully i will depart having created a new hardy lemon species! :lol:
franckm

Post by franckm »

Steph wrote:You must have a bigger garden than the rest of us!
Don't think so Steph. Unfortunatelly my backyard is a pretty modest size garden (small indeed :lol: ). Most of my citrus are young.
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:My overall goal for the future is to hybridise my lemon and trifoliate oranges. This way i should get a hardy lemon, thats the theory anyway. I know this will take a lot of time and trial and error but I'm only 17 so I've got my whole life for this project. Hopefully i will depart having created a new hardy lemon species! :lol:
Good goal Doncaster ! But you're right : theorical. You'll have to sow a huge quantity of crossed seeds to expect getting just a little few of them with intermediate both types (edible or so called and hardy or so called). Be patient too.. About 7 to 10 years to harvest your first fruits when grown from seed. :D
Good luck anyway. To be continued.

Franck 8)
doncasterpalmguy123

Thanks, haha ill post the results in about 10-20 years time depending on how long it takes. :lol:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

One seed grown clementine approx 15 years old, 2 calamondins, and 2 lemons, unknown variety and one seed grown. The smallest calamondin had a few flowers in Autumn and has 4 small fruits, not bad for a £1 defoliated stick last year on a discount shelf :lol:
kiarancactus

Post by kiarancactus »

I've had a go at growing some Grapefruit seeds this year and so far have had all of them germinate with no fuss whatsoever, I heard 'Montbeliardii' Don say that grapefruits can take up to 20 years to flower?! I hope that's just nonsense? Fortunately I'm only 19 so likewise I've got plenty of time to wait! :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I have a standard lemon (Citrus limonum) which is in a tub and gives me a decent amount of fruit every year.

I also posses an old miniature orange to which is attached a little story. I inherited the plant from my place of work when I left in 1977. It was grown from a pip by my boss's wife around 1970. It's been kept in the same tub for the last twenty years. It's been looking rather sad for the last few years and has stopped producing its baby fruits. I keep it for sentimental value as my former boss and his wife recently celebrated their golden wedding and we are still close friends.
doncasterpalmguy123

If i was you i'd repot it. Even now in winter. It seems to me its crying out for some new rootspace especially since its been in the same pot all that time. Citrus make crappe bonsai specimens. They are naturally large growing trees. Restricting it will only lead to its death taking many years :o
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Not much of a citrus grower, am I, DPG? I've been strangling this for the past five years. I showed my friends the plant on the occasion of their forty-fifth wedding anniversary and remember promising to re-pot it then :shock:

Thanks for the telling-off - I promise to give it more root room next Spring :oops: