If I'm going to get a Brugmansia ...... which one?

ourarka

If I'm going to get a Brugmansia ...... which one?

Post by ourarka »

I have never had a Brug, but this year's the time. It's going to be in my conservatory, so very bright and warm, with frost free (but not heated) over winter. What are my options regarding a nice, reliable (but easily available) type to get?
Westport007

Re: If I'm going to get a Brugmansia ...... which one?

Post by Westport007 »

you could for any variety really, as your conditions seem ideal for brugmansias.Give Brugmansia Grand Marnier a go!its scent is lovely and is a beautiful plant aswell.I have it 2 years and never fails to impress.. icon_salut :D
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I grew 3 from seed about 3 years ago, they grew to about 5ft and flowered but sadly not warm enough up here, i had to put them in the G/house October for warmth so the buds would flower. Give it a try Ourarka, you have better temps than me.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've grown loads over the years, falling in love with every picture of one in any glossy catalogue you care to mention. I've come to the conclusion that unless you want that to be your Living and Dying hobby it is way WAY easier to stick to only the Good Do'ers. Loads of them are plagued by bugs, struggle to put out a good crop of buds, when they do they then take ages to put out another good crop.

Stick to Grand Marnier would be my advice, nest Good Do'er that I have come across. I can give you a longer shortlist than "one" if you like, but there are only 3 or 4 varieties on it. Rooted cuttings come up on eBay (probably not at the time of the year) if there isn't someone here who can let you have one.

Should be happy frost free, if there is risk of a cold snap just move it to somewhere frost free (garage, utility room, etc.) It will be happy with no light for several days at a time - it will probably completely defoliate in winter anyway.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I have a small collection of brugs.I would say B.mobisu is the easiest and most reliable.I also like B.katrin bonte which is a variegated one so it's still interesting when it's not flowering.
Here is B.mobisu flowering in july 2013.
Attachments
009.JPG
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Excellent, thanks. Any sure fire recommended place to get them from?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

ourarka wrote:Excellent, thanks. Any sure fire recommended place to get them from?
... in addition to the above question (Grand Marnier seems quite hard to source?), is it safe to purchase now and continue overwintering/bringing in to life here ..... or should I wait a few months to buy it?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I would wait - let someone else worry about keeping it alive, and healthy, in poor light and low temperatures. It will be much easier to overwinter next winter - when it is a year older :)
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I think its best to buy a small pjant during the winter and bringing it on. Also it might do better placed in the garden during the summer. I grow New Orleans Lady. its quick and strongly scented and overall very impressive. ;)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I could recommend this one (older pic) but I wish knew it's name. I lost the label a long time ago. Heavy scent and often flushes twice a year.
GrevPlants 2012 113.JPG
Dim

Post by Dim »

my local garden centre (Scotsdales in Cambridge-Great Shelford) have loads of different varieties ... I recall seeing them last week, and if memory serves me right, they were £24.99 per plant (decent size in a good pot)