fast growing plants

James1991

fast growing plants

Post by James1991 »

im trying to find fast growing plants from seed to add a bit of height to the garden. im poor so trying to keep costs down by growing as much as a i can from seed :lol: but also want a good looking garden quickly. Not even sure if thats possible :?
Kristen

Re: fast growing plants

Post by Kristen »

Annual: Ricinus. Mine get to about 8' in a season and the leaves are large.

Trees: Eucalyptus. Plant them out when small - they don't establish well if kept in pots for two long. I've never managed to plant one outside in the first year (they are a bit tender for that first winter), so perhaps don't rush to sow too early in the year, and over winter for the first winter, and then plant out in, say, May when the soil is warming up.

Paulownia tomentosa - can be Stooled after a couple of years and then grows to about 10' in the season with large leaves. Can be a bit tricky to over winter the first year, but very hardy thereafter. Or allow to grow into a tree - they are pretty quick.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

If you want trees, as a windbreak, you could consider Hybrid Poplars. They look pretty boring, but they are fast (3' a year maybe) and they are cheap, although not from seed. They are sold as Setts, you just make a hole (with a rod) and push the stick in, and then 90% or more of them will take root. They cost less than £1 each (depending on qty). Important to get them planted not much later than November as they need the winter to root and settle in, and rooting rate will drop off the later in the winter you set them out.

Some Willows are sold as Setts too.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Hi!
It is possible to get a good looking garden and some height quickly! I used loads of quick growing annuals when I first moved here!

These are some that I used icon_salut

Datura stramonium
Ricinus sp.
Amaranthus sp.
Nicotiana sylvestris
Solanum laciniatum
Bananas
Tithonia
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Eucalyptus nitens - instant tree, just add water.

16 metres in 5 years, 27 metres in 11 years, and hardy enough to have survived the recent cold winters in Oxfordshire.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

When do you guys germinate your:

Ricinus
Amaranthus
Nicotiana sylvestris
Tithonia

I got less than 1 metre for Ricinus, no more than 30cm for the rest. I also wonder if it is my soil - slightly raised beds on clay? It is relatively loose after much forking and incorporating humus. Full south facing slope, so cannot be light.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Blairs wrote:When do you guys germinate your:

Ricinus
Amaranthus
Nicotiana sylvestris
Tithonia

I got less than 1 metre for Ricinus, no more than 30cm for the rest. I also wonder if it is my soil - slightly raised beds on clay? It is relatively loose after much forking and incorporating humus. Full south facing slope, so cannot be light.
I sow all of the above seeds indoors mid-end march. I would say that if you have a greenhouse you could possibly sow later. I add a small handful of blood fish and bone to each planting hole and a good helping of well rotted, horse/farmyard manure.
Ricins got to about 8ft or more the first year I tried them. Last year was not a good year for ricinus here!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Brugmansia, not sure if the cultivars can be grown from seed though.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Amaranthus 13-Mar-13
Nicotiana sylvestris 13-Mar-13
Ricinus 01-Apr-13
I got less than 1 metre for Ricinus, no more than 30cm for the rest
Something wrong there. I reckon either chill when planted out (mine don't go out until 1st week of June - no doubt overly cautious), or wind (mine are very sheltered)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Ricinus
Amaranthus
Nicotiana sylvestris
Tithonia

If it is your soil Blairs, you could use pots and sink them in your borders. I used ricinus in pots and planted in borders last year (from seed) and there was no difference...
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

James, try the Triffid pack of seeds from Jungleseeds:

Amaranth Lotus Purple (8ft)
Hibiscus manihot (10ft)
Chenopodium giganteum (8ft)
Ricinus Zanzibarensis Huge leaves (15ft)
Ensete ventricosum (12ft 2nd year)
Helianthus Kong sunflower (12ft)
Solanum quiotense - Huge Triffid leaves (6ft)

I am trying the pack this year. They have 20% off at the moment.

http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/contents/e ... Seeds.html
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Thanks Springy, Kirsten and Deedee.

I started the Ricinus in April then put out in the greenhouse in individual pots. I think I put them out too early as they barely moved and some even flowered within a week and did nothing else!

I will try them in pots in the ground as I think the soil may be too heavy in parts.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I believe that Ricinus go into flowering mode if they become potbound. Once flowering they branch and don't produce as many leaves. The secret is not to grow them too early and keep potting them on, then out, not allowing lack of root room to force flowers :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:I believe that Ricinus go into flowering mode if they become potbound. Once flowering they branch and don't produce as many leaves. The secret is not to grow them too early and keep potting them on, then out, not allowing lack of root room to force flowers :)
I do not remember them looking pot bound. I do wonder if the soil is so heavy still that it effectively makes them pot bound though? Something for me to work on this year!