Should I repot this Strelitzia?

ourarka

Should I repot this Strelitzia?

Post by ourarka »

Last Spring I pot plunged this S. Reginae outside and it hardly pushed any new growth at all, whereas the year before (in a conservatory) it did great, though flowering was limited. It got a TINY frost last year when I missed the forecast, so a few leaves browned! but other than that don't know why it seems to have stalled.

The soil seems quite compacted, and water is very slow to drain through. I am wondering if it needs some rejuvenation, though am aware potting up by much can restrict blooming. Any ideas? I am hoping to keep it inside again this year.
Attachments
image.jpg
flounder

Re: Should I repot this Strelitzia?

Post by flounder »

I personally wouldn't repot, but I would try and remove some of the soil in the top of the pot and top dress with fresh compost 50/50 mix with perlite or grit. A decorative chipping on top of that and it's sorted
Steph

Post by Steph »

I would have it out, if the roots fill the pot, big white tubers, remove at least 50% and then back into the same pot.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Uh-oh ..... split opinions! I think top dressing would be tough as the crown of the plant is very near the surface.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

First of all I'd stand it up the right way!...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

tropical Tom wrote:First of all I'd stand it up the right way!...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doh! I didn't even notice - shame on me! Well, amazingly all the soil didn't fall out but I've managed to stand it up!
Attachments
image.jpg
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Well that's just weird!! On my iPad it was the right way ... and I reposted and it's still the right way. Looking on my desktop PC, it's still on its side. Oh well, life is too short to worry too much .... hopefully everyone can tilt their heads a touch?!
flounder

Post by flounder »

If you click on the photo, it rights itself :wink: