Clematis 'Freckles' not flowering but growing like mad

otorongo

Clematis 'Freckles' not flowering but growing like mad

Post by otorongo »

I have 2, they had maybe 2 flowers each, in November, and none since then. They're been actively growing over the winter... rampantly wouldn't be an exaggeration. Their winter growth could only be compared to the summer growth of Passiflora and Eccremocarpus. I've had to prune them to keep them from smothering my epiphytes. Could the growth be the reason they're not flowering? Too warm, so they think it's spring and they grow instead of flowering?

The same with my other winter flowering Clematis, 'Winter Beauty', a lot of winter growth and no flowers.
charliepridham

Re: Clematis 'Freckles' not flowering but growing like mad

Post by charliepridham »

If you are cutting them at all during winter you are removing the flowers, you can cut them back after flowering but not before, they do best if left alone
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

the plants may be to well looked after.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

fern Rob wrote:the plants may be to well looked after.
They're not really looked after at all :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

soil may be to good, normally when a plant looks healthy and isn't flowering its because lives great for the plant.
flounder

Post by flounder »

As Charlie said, being a cirrhosa type it's winter flowering. Any pruning before flowering removes that ability. Once it has finished you can be quite vicious with the shears