Tetrapanax Root propagation

benbaron

Tetrapanax Root propagation

Post by benbaron » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hi all,

Ive just received some nice T-rex roots from a kind person, so in need of a bit of advice on the best way to propagate them.
Ive seem multiple methods but what is the best?

Also they are around 10cm long each - Can I chop em up into 2 and double my chances?

Cheers in advance

Ben

fieldfest

Re: Tetrapanax Root propigation

Post by fieldfest » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 pm

I laid them in trays of MP compost some in the greenhouse and some left out in the garden, all worked. I think its hard to fail with these

The Codfather

Re: Tetrapanax Root propagation

Post by The Codfather » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Mr b done a photo blog/ step by step guide on here some where........ icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

benbaron

Post by benbaron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

Spotted it after I posted ;)

flounder

Re: Tetrapanax Root propigation

Post by flounder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 pm

fieldfest wrote:I laid them in trays of MP compost some in the greenhouse and some left out in the garden, all worked. I think its hard to fail with these
I did :(
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)

Wilza

Post by Wilza » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:59 pm

I've had no luck either!

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 am

I do the same as FieldFest in trays of MP with clear lid on. I don't chop them as i find they're more prone to rot that way. Leave them in the longest lengths possible and don't add any other moisture , just the moisture in the MP itself. They'll start shooting along the length of the propagated root and once each shoot has established its own little root system, then cut into individual plants.

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:23 pm

When I lifted my T Rex, a first-year plant that I had plunge planted in its pot so that it could come in for "just one more Winter" before being planted out) some roots have grown over the top of the pot and got bust during lifting. Got loads of new plants from them the following spring.

So might do?? to just take a spade and make a vertical cut, severing several roots, and let them sprout without the bother of getting them into a seed tray etc.?

Photo of them, end May, before the plant had been put back into its originahole from previous year
IMG_6312_TRexSuckers.jpg
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog

grub

Post by grub » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Steve Jacobs did us a definitive guide icon_thumright http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 119&t=6033
Eats, shoots and leaves The most viewed garden IN THE WORLD!!! lol http://www.facebook.com/GrubsJungleHideout