Tetrapanax Root propagation

benbaron

Tetrapanax Root propagation

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Ive just received some nice T-rex roots from a kind person, so in need of a bit of advice on the best way to propagate them.
Ive seem multiple methods but what is the best?

Also they are around 10cm long each - Can I chop em up into 2 and double my chances?

Cheers in advance

Ben
fieldfest

Re: Tetrapanax Root propigation

Post by fieldfest »

I laid them in trays of MP compost some in the greenhouse and some left out in the garden, all worked. I think its hard to fail with these
The Codfather

Re: Tetrapanax Root propagation

Post by The Codfather »

Mr b done a photo blog/ step by step guide on here some where........ icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

Spotted it after I posted ;)
flounder

Re: Tetrapanax Root propigation

Post by flounder »

fieldfest wrote:I laid them in trays of MP compost some in the greenhouse and some left out in the garden, all worked. I think its hard to fail with these
I did :(
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I've had no luck either!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I do the same as FieldFest in trays of MP with clear lid on. I don't chop them as i find they're more prone to rot that way. Leave them in the longest lengths possible and don't add any other moisture , just the moisture in the MP itself. They'll start shooting along the length of the propagated root and once each shoot has established its own little root system, then cut into individual plants.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

When I lifted my T Rex, a first-year plant that I had plunge planted in its pot so that it could come in for "just one more Winter" before being planted out) some roots have grown over the top of the pot and got bust during lifting. Got loads of new plants from them the following spring.

So might do?? to just take a spade and make a vertical cut, severing several roots, and let them sprout without the bother of getting them into a seed tray etc.?

Photo of them, end May, before the plant had been put back into its originahole from previous year
IMG_6312_TRexSuckers.jpg
grub

Post by grub »

Steve Jacobs did us a definitive guide icon_thumright http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 119&t=6033