Yucca Identification. HELP!!!

doncasterpalmguy123

Yucca Identification. HELP!!!

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hello, we have a yucca in our house which is older than me (I'm 17). Its been in the same pot all its life. As a result it is very root bound and has put on very little growth in recent years. It has never lived outside as we do not know how hardy it is.
My grandparents bought an identical plant at the same time. This grew to be quite a giant outdoors so i think they may be fairly hardy. However it died in the winter of 2010.

So i ask you now what species is this (From the pics below) and would it survive outside with protection?
Please take a look at the pics and give a suggestion as to what species it may be. Thanks. :D
Attachments
d2.JPG
d1.JPG
d3.JPG
d4.JPG
d5.JPG
d6.JPG
d7.JPG
Blairs

Re: Yucca Identification. HELP!!!

Post by Blairs »

Yucca gigantea, it has many synonyms.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Blairs wrote:Yucca gigantea, it has many synonyms.
I would agree with that.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Ok thanks guys, do you think it would appreciate being transplanted outside when the time is right? Apparently their fairly hardy. :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If we continue with this mild weather you might get away with planting out now. Near a sunny south facing wall would be best in your location. The strength of the sun won't burn the leaves and you will have plenty of time for the plant to adjust.
Protection next winter, if required, will be easier.

I have a large one in a ridiculously small container that sits against a wall in the same south west facing position year round and only got partially cut back in 2010/11.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I think Stephen Prudence/Chesterpalms posted some pics of this Yucca in Merseyside doing well some time ago (even after 2010 depths). So mild locaiton and well drained soil seem key. So as Greville has said, a position near a south facing wall would suit it well. If it has any sentimental value then protecting it would be prudent.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

There is a large one in the Wallasey area, first picture is March 2013 looking a bit sorry for itself and then again looking much better in November 2013 after the warm summer. The others are in Seacombe near Birkenhead, so its definitely plausible as I get the feeling these aren't protected and you could.,rope lights would be useful in very cold weather. I have one I fully intend to plant out at some point, hopefully this summer if I get a fence sorted and a new border.
Attachments
yuccaelepantiesmarch2013.jpg
wirral10.jpg
wirral11.jpg
wirral3.jpg
wirral4.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its a little risky if you have had it for years, i would pot it up.