Growing cashew from seed

Marmyshka

Growing cashew from seed

Post by Marmyshka »

Hi all!

I have recently Planted cashew seeds and after a couple of weeks they started germinating! I dont know an awful lot about this plant and internet hasng got that much info about growing them in pots or UK so i am here to see if anyone else tried this at home? :) any advise would be appreciated. Btw this is more experimental and fun thing...not for the purpose of getting any crop from the plant.

Thanks in advance :D
GREVILLEAJ

Growing cashew from seed

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

You are growing a tropical tree of Caribbean origin so conditions for growth are heated greenhouses and plenty of sun. Getting fruit is only likely after about five years. Bear in mind the liquid inside the shell is toxic so be careful if you have nuts :shock:
chainsaw kid

Growing cashew from seed

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi, Marmy, your doing better than me, I bought a packet of salted cashew nuts some time back and never got a single nut to germinate. I kept the in the green house as well !!!!!!
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Conifers

Growing cashew from seed

Post by Conifers »

CAUTION: the sap is very toxic (ditto all parts of the plant except for the ripe fruit, and the seed that we eat), and can cause severe skin burns (it is closely related to Poison-ivy). Be extremely careful with the plants!
otorongo

Growing cashew from seed

Post by otorongo »

chainsaw kid wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 am Hi, Marmy, your doing better than me, I bought a packet of salted cashew nuts some time back and never got a single nut to germinate. I kept the in the green house as well !!!!!!
Salted and roasted cashew nuts? I think you need seeds.

I've seen cashew plants in the Peruvian Amazon with fruit (called cashew apples) and those bits on top that contain the nut.
Marmyshka

Growing cashew from seed

Post by Marmyshka »

hi Chainsaw Kid

yeah, salted cashews wont germinate you will need shelled nuts (they are much bigger and black colour and they do contain toxic sap as mentioned by conifers). unfortunately mine arent doing that great...i have flooded them so they might be on their way out! good experiment though, might try again next year when its warmer!
chainsaw kid

Growing cashew from seed

Post by chainsaw kid »

You were not supposed to take that seriously, that was a joke! You know a joke. Ha Ha. :roll: :lol:

The Kid.
tatter

Growing cashew from seed

Post by tatter »

obviously went over his head Kid .Perhaps change of name required like chainsaw kidder :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_cheers
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
chainsaw kid

Growing cashew from seed

Post by chainsaw kid »

tatter wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:38 pm obviously went over his head Kid .Perhaps change of name required like chainsaw kidder :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_cheers
Don't tempt me, It took me months to get back on here as it is.

The Kid.
Marmyshka

Growing cashew from seed

Post by Marmyshka »

What are you like! 😂 and there is me thinking some poor sod is trying to grow a plant from store bought salted cashews 😂😂😂