proteas

bodster

proteas

Post by bodster »

I recieved a private message about proteas so I thought I would come back on and post an update. Things have been going well. I've found that they are a lot more hardy if you grow them in a raised bed to keep the roots dry. I've constructed one against the house that raises the soil level by over a foot. This is full of a mix of gravel, sand and compost so its quite free draining and keeps the roots from sitting in soaking soil in the winter. I've includes some photos but since I havent been on forums, I havent taken many for a couple of years so they are mostly of the plants two years ago. They are all a lot bigger now.

A few plants can grow without this treatment. Grevillea Juniperina does well as does Embothrium. This has been getting better each year.

I've also got a protea which I had bought as protea subvestita but I am now convinced is protea lacticolor. This seems happy in the normal garden soil although I have mave just got lucky with the one.

Banksia marginata grows well in the garden too.
telopaea.jpg
banksia_spinulosa.jpg
In the raised bed I have telopea and most of the proteas as well as banksia spinulosa

One of the issues with proteas is that most flower in winter and spring. If you dont protect the buds from the rain they rot and you dont get the flowers. I've found a cover made with coke bottles helps protect them.

Protea red barron fits into this category as does the king protea. The king protea is a lt more frost sensitive though and frequently gets cut back to its underground lignotuber. Its hard to getto flower outside.

Protea possum magic is an early flowering plant but the buds dont seem as fragile and I havent had to protect them

The summer flowering species are a lot easier. Not only do you not have to protect the buds but they flower when you are outside to see them.

Protea aurea is reliable and fast growing but not the most spectacular
Eximia.jpg

Protea eximia is flowering at the momennt in my garden
sylvia.jpg
In a couple of months protea sylvia will flower. Thats my favourite flower

Protea venustra makes a good ground cover plant and is very hardy. Its also summer flowering

I've also found protea grandicepts to be hardy but very slow growing. I've not had any flowers yet. Protea burcheii and susanne are also worth a try. I've had some flowers on them and the plants have been through several winters

Hpopefully this helps
Attachments
possum_magixc2.jpg
Chez2

proteas

Post by Chez2 »

oh wow they are stunning. Is your house on a slope? How did you manage to raise the bed by a foot and not breach the damp proof course?
bodster

proteas

Post by bodster »

It is on a slight slope yes. The raised bed is up against a second hand conservatory that i bought and stuck that on the back of the house. Its used for storing my brugmansias in the winter and is insulated enough that it needs no heating. Because its just for the plants, I dont have to worry about the damp - the plants inside generate a lot of that anyway
Chez2

proteas

Post by Chez2 »

Ah I see. They are pretty dam stunning!
bodster

proteas

Post by bodster »

Thanks Chez. They are a really impressive flower which is probably why i have spent a lot of time growing them. I seem to have got the hang now although there have been a lot of plants sacrificed along the way!
aurea.jpg
Aurea is doing so welll now its beginning to block the windows as is eximia
susanne.jpg
Heres protea Susanne
burchelii.jpg
And Burchelii
lacticolor.jpg
This is Lacticolor which I have just growing in a normal flower bed
venustra.jpg
This is the ground cover Venustra

These have all survived multiple winters outside
chainsaw kid

proteas

Post by chainsaw kid »

Bodster, your Proteas are an inspiration to us all. I have to say I have only found one of the ones you have recommended so far! I will keep looking. icon_thumright

Regards Jason.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
bodster

proteas

Post by bodster »

have you tried www.proteaonline.com? Thats where i've got many of mine. They are an italian site and ship good plants. Without wanting to bring politics into this, whilst we are in the EU, its a simple matter to get the plants. you can just order online and they ship them.

The species can be grown from seed. You can get them fromfinebushpeople.com. They ship them from south africa

You can occasionalyy get some of the more common species plants here too