Lets see your Ricinus ..

collins99

Lets see your Ricinus ..

Post by collins99 »

I know this plant was the HTUK competition last year to see who could grow the biggest leaf, anybody who is growing this lets get some pictures on here and see how everybody's is getting on . I am going to get some pictures of mine now to get the ball rolling ... icon_thumright

nick...
collins99

Re: Lets see your Ricinus ..

Post by collins99 »

A few pictures of mine from tonight ...
Attachments
010.JPG
010.JPG (119.82 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
011.JPG
011.JPG (114.4 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (108.84 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I thought I had a lot of seed from last year's plant so didn't buy any more. I don't know what went wrong but I got a germination rate of big fat zilch :roll: so don't have anything to take a pic of this year :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bobbyd44 »

al the green ricinus seeds i bought failed to doo anything too! all my red one germinated no probs will do some pics tomo!!
and i also brought back alot of wild ricinus seed from portugal two weeks ago where they was the size of a small tree on wasteland!!
Last edited by bobbyd44 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Well they look better than mine they're there honest. :(
Attachments
HPIM1402.JPG
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

i dont know if you know but Ricinus is where the poision Ricin comes from. Its very deadly poison. see wikipedia if you havent seen this before http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin

It was used to make a gas which was then released in the Japanese subway in 1995 (anyone else remember that). about 10 people died

if you have pets or children then you really shoulnt grow plants like this, or even if your neighbours have pets or children, only a small amount would kill say a cat. if you do grow it and touch it then wash your hands stright away with a strong soap or even weargloves to be protected.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I haven't had time to germinate any this year. However, in previous years I've started them in a heated propagator in Feb. Here's mine from last year, cheating I know.
Attachments
ricinus 08.JPG
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

thats not cheating!! just a head start icon_thumleft and why not when they get too that size :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

Richard wrote:I haven't had time to germinate any this year. However, in previous years I've started them in a heated propagator in Feb. Here's mine from last year, cheating I know.
Thats a plant to aspire to Richard, icon_salut
I started my N.Z.P. on Valentines day, but they have only really started moving in the past couple of weeks.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Ricinus was grown from a seed last year i cut it back and kept it inside for the winter .This is it now its grown a little its not for the competition i would be cheating its not to big anyway. This year seeds are small plants and my red stems went leggy ID PLEASE
Attachments
S4010674.JPG
S4010672.JPG
grayk2

Post by grayk2 »

Here are some of my ricins, most grown from seed this year but a couple were over-wintered in a greenhouse.
Attachments
ricin.JPG
ricin (1).JPG
ricin (2).JPG
ricin (3).JPG
ricin (4).JPG
ricin (5).JPG
ricin (6).JPG
ricin (7).JPG
simon

Post by simon »

grayk2, In picture 6, what is the deeply cut green palmate leaf bottom left, please?
simon

Post by simon »

Here are a few of mine. Zanzibarensis, NZ Purple and the 'variegated' one - Bloem Paul D'Hont.

Hankers

Post by Hankers »

Mine seem to be growing quickly now.

Steve

Dan L

Post by Dan L »

The ones on the left are carmencita. Middle ones are NZ purple, and the zanzibarensis on the right.
Attachments
100_1058.JPG